It's been a funny week. I haven't felt like blogging and that is most unusual. Let's have a quick recap.
Monday: did nothing.
Tuesday: Had phone call from lady from department of works and pensions. As it happened we'd overslept and I'd only just taken one mouthful of my weetabix when she rang. She offered to call back but I said no. Easier to get it over with.
She was very nice, not entirely sure what she was doing. Apparently she was new to the team dealing with pensions. She said if it had been benefits she knew all the questions - and answers - off by heart. It was very straightforward anyway. Mostly names and dates of birth of birth of husband and children. But then she said, "It seems your wages dropped by £3,000 a year in 2005 and then by £4,000 in 2007. Can you explain why?"
Seriously? That's twenty years ago. I can barely remember what I did yesterday. I think we worked out that I'd cut my hours once but there was no explanation for the other drop. She said it was probably okay but if it wasn't they'd call me back. No-one's called so I guess it didn't matter.
In the afternoon I went for ice cream - in Fortes as Verdi's is still closed following the fire - with Elin, a young doctor, still in training who was traumatised after spending six months in intensive care. Definitely her least favourite department.
Tuesday evening Zac's. Monty had put his talk together over the course of two days and managed to speak for one hour, virtually non-stop. I don't know how anyone can do that. No, actually I know several people who can talk.
Wednesday: Went for coffee that turned into a walk around the park with Jordan, our church pastor. He gave me most excellent feedback, and we had a wonderful discussion about scripture, bible study, church, and stuff. Then, when we'd completed about seven eighths of the route he said, "I want to ask you a question."
Oh oh, I thought. But he wanted to know if I would consider becoming a deacon. I hadn't expected that.
It seems he's had me in his mind for the role for best part of a year. I am tempted to do it because he wants me too. It is so lovely to be appreciated. When I left my previous church to concentrate on Zac's they had me up the front to pray for me. I was asked to say a few words so I started to say that Sean had made me one of the study leaders but that as the rest of the congregation were addicts or disillusioned or mentally unstable (or words to that effect) , "Then you were the best of a bad job. He didn't have a lot of choice," the then leader of the church chimed in.
I mean that's what I was going to say but it's one thing me saying it and quite another when my church leaders says it, to a huge laugh. Not that I'm bitter or anything!!!
So I need to find out some more about what being a deacon entails. I think he wants to get me in because he knows I think as he does on questions of vulnerability and honesty, maybe more so than the other deacons. I was going to say older but I would actually be the oldest one! I meant those who've been there for years.
In the afternoon I went to the memorial service for a Big Issue seller who had a stand in Sketty by our local shops. He was a lovely man although I didn't know him well - he told me he loved my chilli when I used to make it for Zac's - and there were lots of beautiful tributes from local people who valued his smile and friendly words.
Thursday: The organiser of a retreat day came to see me to discuss what we want to do at our retreat day. It's happening next week for Sean, the heart behind Zac's, Stu, the manager and future of Zac's, Colin, a prospective trustee, and me, trustee.
Then it was off to Rough Edges for the day to help sort out out what's left after the two big closing down sales into things for recycling, things for salvage, things for a charity shop, and miscellaneous. We're going to need another skip sadly.
Friday: went for an early morning swim at Pobbles with Daughter and GrandDaugher2 (and Louie). We took our body boards as there were waves yesterday but today it was just about flat. A lovely swim though.
I kept spotting little purple blobs around the garden.
Husband explained it's the poo of birds who've been eating blackberries.

No comments:
Post a Comment