I have got through a slew of Icelandic books over the last few weeks. I noted them when we were there and finally got round to getting them from the library or the shop.
Butterflies in November by Audur Ava Olafsdottir is about a road trip around Iceland a newly-single woman takes with her best friend's deaf son. She is a linguist who doesn't want children, and one of her reasons is my favourite line in the book.
"Your kids vanish into the bushes of camping sites, without even giving you a chance to browse through a thesaurus in peace by the entrance of the tent, because you're always on watch duty I imagine."
Farewell Mr Puffin by Paul Heiney is about a sailing trip to Iceland and into the Arctic Circle, and back. It's more sailing info than I would like and not as funny as I expected. That said there are entertaining moments. He goes in search of puffins, 'the jokers' of the bird world, but comes across only one resulting in a rather depressing theory.
The other two, The Quiet Mother by Arnaldur Indridason, and The Mysterious Case of the Missing Crime Writer by Ragnar Jonasson, are both crime novels but not as gruesome as some Scandi noir. I preferred The Mysterious Case.
And I've just started on a Grantchester novel - although actually it appears to be several short linked stories - which is easy reading and I'm enjoying it.
* * * * *
The day before we went to Italy back in April three plants I'd ordered online turned up. I stuck them in the ground quickly and hoped for the best.
They were achillea (I had to check my order to see what they were) and they've all flourished. Here's the pink one next to my sole dahlia success.Before going on holiday I also came across two packets of seeds I'd forgotten to plant so I scattered them willy-nilly in a spare patch. The marigolds have come up beautifully. I shall plant those again next year.
I think the other packet was Cosmos but they haven't appeared.* * * * *
Another 'before I went on holiday' story but this time before I went to Cornwall. I received a letter from the DWP (department of Works and Pensions) to say my state pension is being reviewed.
Apparently I have been chosen at random and I have to be available next Tuesday morning to answer a call from them, in which they will ask me questions to check I am getting the right amount.
I am not looking forward to this. I go blank when asked questions about work, finance, dates, anything formal. Husband will have to sit alongside and tell me the answers.




7 comments:
I enjoy the Grantchester TV series, but I've never bothered to read any of the stories/books it was based on. Here in Canada/US at the moment, PBS is showing the final season of the show. We always see British series much later than after they air in Britain. Anyway, this Sunday is the big series finale!
I liked the Grantchester books much more than the TV series, largely because I couldn't bear the actor who played the main character!
Interesting intro to Iceland adjacent books, thank you.
Roses seem to be having a very good year, likewise achillea (yarrow)
Your flowers are flowering nicely!
Thanks for the Icelandic book recommendations. I've read a couple crime novels by Ragnar Jonasson that were okay. I've added "Butterflies in November" to my want-to-read list. Earlier this year, I read "The Raven's Nest" - a memoir by a woman who travelled to Iceland, fell in love with an Iceland man, married him, divorced him, wrote about it.
Your gardens are beautiful. Mine seem to be fading at the moment
Cathy
I had no idea there were Grantchester books. Will have to look into them.
Your garden looks beautiful. I'm a horrible gardener.
Post a Comment