It must be weird being the king/queen. I mean, not just because of the attention and stuff, but the fact that you're going to go down in history for children to learn about in school, or watch in television dramas, like Henry VIII. I wonder how history will look on our current incumbents.
I was thinking this as I started my jigsaw. I'm struggling to sleep, partly because I'm under the weather*, and partly because my head is full of sermons and articles. Rephrasing them in my head in the middle of the night is enough to keep me tossing for hours. So I decided to jigsaw as an antidote. (I know jigsaw isn't a verb but it is now.)
The jigsaw is a pictorial of British history. Which would be easier if I had some idea of British history. I mean, I do have some idea but when it gets to specifics, well, I kept putting pieces in the middle of the space because, "they're somewhere around there." Two things strike me: we've had an awful lot of kings and an awful lot of wars; and the monarchy is very boring when it comes to choosing children's names.
But history brings me nicely to what will probably be my final holiday post - but don't bank on it. One day Husband and I visited Prideaux Place, an old manor house. It was a lovely day and, as I've mentioned before the cream tea rated highly, in fact Husband said it was a clear winner.
As we arrived it was feeding time for the deer so we had a wonderful sight of them. The deer herd is one of the oldest enclosed herds in the country, dating back to 485AD and only beaten by those in Royal parks.
The house has been in the same family for hundreds of years and the current inhabitants have spent a lot of time renovating the gardens, which had been left to get overgrown.
I liked this statue, Boy with a thorn in his foot.
The guided tour of the house was excellent but no photos allowed. It's a family home that's only open to the public for the summer months. the original house was built on the site of an ancient monastery and there are some real treasures inside.





No comments:
Post a Comment