Sunday, August 25, 2024

Socks and baps

The other week I took GrandSon2 to a football trial. He needed to put his boots and socks on when we got out of the car and he asked me to help him. 

"It says on the socks which one is left and right."

I thought he was joking but he wasn't.

Not only were they marked as he said, they were almost impossible to get on so tight were they. 

Apparently this is what football socks are these days. Anatomically shaped: "Many manufacturers have developed grip technology on the sole and distributed grip particles according to the different structures of the left and right feet." And tight: to prevent the socks from slipping down. 

This explains such a lot, for example, why I am so bad at football. I never had the proper socks. If only we'd known. Who knows what talent I may have revealed had my socks been marked left and right?

And don't get me started on holes in socks.

England player Kyle Walker has been wearing socks with holes in for years. He explained, "The socks were actually too tight so it was causing pressure on my calves." Um . . . no, as I said, let's not go there.

* * * * *
Church this morning started with bacon and egg baps. I think Jesus would approve. But would he as a good Jew? Then again, he did declare "all foods clean."

My bap tasted good anyway.


8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

They sound like compression socks!

Kathy G said...

I've never heard of socks that are anatomically shaped.

Boud said...

Someone had a great marketing idea, I'm guessing.

Ann said...

I'll stick with my regular socks. I don't need socks that anatomically correct.

jabblog said...

Another thing for hard-pressed parents to provide . . .

Abby said...

I'm lucky to wear socks of the same color, let alone for proper foot anatomy.
Today I learned bap = "a tender pillow of dough". Sounds lovely.

Anvilcloud said...

Sock it to us in what we call soccer. You see, it all fits. Socker.

Cop Car said...

Thank you, Abby, for making it unnecessary for me to show my ignorance by asking Liz about bap.
I do not understand why those playing sports feel the need to wear over-the-calf socks at all - shaped/compression/otherwise. What is the point? The foot part of a sock (especially if used with a sock liner) prevent chafing of the foot on a shoe, but what is the use of the calf part I ask.