Sunday, April 14, 2024

Take 6 litres of seaweed

Happy National Laverbread Day!

Sadly I have to tell you that, even though I'm Welsh, I don't like laverbread. I know it's rich in iron and iodine and very good for me but I still don't like it, sorry.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about let me explain. Laverbread is made from seaweed. In Chinese restaurants you can get crispy fried seaweed, and that's quite palatable. Welsh laverbread is something entirely different. It's a thick paste, sometimes spread on bread, sometimes tossed in oatmeal and fried with bacon and cockles. Or just heated and dolloped on a plate with cockles.

You can buy it in Swansea market in little tubs.

Or if you're far from home and missing it you can order it in tins.


In 2017 Welsh laverbread was awarded a special designation under European law, like champagne, although I don't know whether that's still valid now we're no longer in the EU. (Boo hiss.) The north Gower coast is home to a number of cockle-picking and laver-gathering families, and their products are renowned. 

If you fancy making your own you first need to gather the seaweed. This is porphyra umbilicalis in situ.

Mo Wilde has a recipe for laverbread on her website. You need 6 litres of laver seaweed, which you wash well under running water to rid it of any sand. Place it in a slow cooker, add 150 ml of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, and cook on high for 8 hours. You can add seasonings to taste: salt and pepper, chilli, soy sauce, whatever takes your fancy.






7 comments:

Chris said...

I don't like it either Liz, but love cockles!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm sure it kept people alive during hard times, but that doesn't guarantee palatability.

Boud said...

This is well known in County Durham, (northern English shore county) where I knew people who prized it. I've never had it and thought it was a bread. Not so much, it seems. It was considered a delicacy, probably because it's labor intensive to make.

jabblog said...

Not something I've tried, though I've eaten samphire, which isn't really seaweed, but grows in tidal zones. It doesn't look very attractive . . .

Anvilcloud said...

Pass ...

Ann said...

I'm pretty sure this is something I would pass on if it was offered.

Liz Hinds said...

I like cockles too, Chris.
There are people who love it, Debra, and it sometimes features in a 'Welsh Breakfast'.
I think laver seaweed is native all around the British coast, Boud.
I've eaten samphire too, Jabblog, and that's fine.
Passing on this is a good idea.