Saturday, April 13, 2024

Nicely mulched

What do you do when you're a tad stressed? Go and dig the garden in the rain, that's what.

It's my favourite part of gardening, hard physical work. Most unlike me! But it's satisfying. I wanted to see what the soil was like at the back of the garden where we had trees cut down and where I intend to plant rambling roses. I wondered how it would be after forty or so years of big conifers living there. 

Pretty good as it turns out. Nicely mulched by the leaves and twigs. And here's my prize trophy.

Yes, I dug up a tree root! Well, I was impressed. I had more trouble with the honeysuckle that took over and refused to flower. There's still a lot of that to shift.

The plan is for Husband to fill in the cracks in the wall to strengthen it then to get someone to put fencing on top (and other bits I'm planning) before I plant my roses. I'd love to see them in this year and starting to ramble but the weather's not being very helpful.

And here's some of the rubbish that Husband has been keeping for years - just in case - but now I'm taking charge so watch out.




7 comments:

jabblog said...

Graunching twigs for mulch is fun!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a great action shot of you digging out the tree root!

Marie Smith said...

Well done in the garden!

Boud said...

Yet again spam ate my comment. Sigh.

Cop Car said...

Seriously, Liz, that is a beautiful photo of you. You rock!

Ann said...

All that works looks exhausting.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks all. It was hard work but fun.