Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Digging up the past

First thing this morning I get a request for urgent prayer for Louie dog currently seeing the vet. He'd eaten Nurofen. Louie not the vet that is.

An hour of induced vomiting later, and by mid-afternoon he's full of beans but he has to stay in doggie hospital overnight. I'd like to say, "That will teach him," but it won't.

I'm still snuffly so after recording my book launch I spent a couple of hours watching The Pilgrimage on BBC iplayer. A group of celebrities of different or no faith follow a recognised pilgrim path. The ones I'm watching are taking St Columba's trail. It's interesting seeing people react and relate to others when spending weeks in close proximity. I think things are about to kick off in the next episode.


I wouldn't have thought a novel about an archaeological dig would be my cup of tea but it was fascinating and at times exciting. Would they discover treasure? Had the tomb already been raided? Would everything be washed away before they can preserve it? 

There were lots of relationship issues as well, of course, the wealthy old widow of the manor and her surprisingly young son, the local experts versus the Top Dogs, the young bride of an elderly professor and a visiting cameraman. 

The book is based on the real dig that took place in Suffolk just as the second world war was about to begin. A huge burial ship was uncovered at the 'most famous archaeological dig in Britain in modern times,' and treasures uncovered that caused archaeologists to reconsider their description of the period as the Dark Ages.

There's a film made in 2021 by the same name.

8 comments:

Boud said...

Is this about Sutton Hoo? I must look that up to see if it's Suffolk.

I follow a nice blogger from Suffolk, and at one point she found I didn't know where she lived, though she's very okay with place names. Whereupon she gave a detailed account of what part of Suffolk she's in. I didn't break it to her that I meant I didn't know where Suffolk is! I looked it up.

Anything south of Hull is a mystery to this northerner, though I've been around North Wales, so Wales isn't a mystery. Relatives there, too.

jabblog said...

'The Dig' sounds interesting - I'll add it to my ever-growing 'to be read' pile.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I'm glad Louie is feeling better. Dogs do get into everything, don't they. And I saw that movie "The Dig" a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. It certainly has an excellent cast of actors in it.

nick said...

I read The Dig for my book club. An enjoyable read. I also liked the tension between the local guy and the rather arrogant professionals.

Liz Hinds said...

It is Sutton Hoo, Boud. If you watch the film you will get to see a lot of Suffolk apparently.

It is, Janice.

Louie certainly does, Debra. If I'm still poorly tomorrow I might watch The Dig.

I was sad that Mr Brown stepped back so readily, Nick. Not readily, he didn't have a choice but I wanted him to stand up for himself more - as the medium had said.

Marie Smith said...

I am glad Louie is well again. Our daughter’s new pup has a death wish I am sure. It is so hard to keep everything away from that dog!

acorn hollow said...

The book sounds interesting. Glad the dog will ok. expensive stay I am sure.
Cathy

Anvilcloud said...

I think I saw that film. Good stuff. I find digging up the past so interesting though I don't know anything about archaeology.