Sunday, March 24, 2024

The goddess of wisdom and bare bums

Over on Debra's blog she writes about the goddess, Athena. This reminded me of Athena, the firm that produced posters that adorned many student bedrooms in the 60s and 70s. Most famous, of course, is the tennis player, a poster that was to be found in over two million homes.


Apparently the girl who modelled for it wasn't paid. As one newspaper article said, 'She got a bum deal'. 

Athena is still in existence, only online but still producing high-quality prints of work by emerging and established artists.

This has to be my favourite print from the current site.






9 comments:

Abby said...

Hmm, I've actually seen that "bum" poster on a British tv show (The Detectorists - cute), but had no idea of its omnipresence. And the model was not paid!?

Ann said...

A bum deal...ROFL I like the tea poster. That's cute.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was in university in the 70s, there was a poster company that always came once a year and had a big display of popular posters for sale to students. I can't remember if it was "Athena" or not. That's where I got posters of Monet's Gardens, Starry Night and Lord of the Rings.

jabblog said...

I'm sure many a youth sighed over that poster.

Boud said...

I think it was originally a candid shot. But she had underwear on, matching her skintones. That's not how it looked in the pic.

Kathy G said...

I had never seen that poster before. It's interesting.

acorn hollow said...

A very popular poster I use to work in a college town I think I saw it everywhere.
Cathy

Aviator said...

Your blog has become a source of comfort and inspiration for me. Dive into the world of Aviator with our specialized blog.

Ole Phat Stu said...

When I was a young student, I studied that poster single-handedly ;-)