Monday, March 25, 2024

Eight furlongs in a mile

In school I learned that there are eight furlongs in a mile. Today, for the first time ever, I needed that information for a crossword. 

Maybe I'll need to know calculus tomorrow. (I hope not. I remember nothing about it.)

* * * * *

"I've eaten food from all the best restaurants in Swansea and yours is much tastier."

That's what one of our guests said last Friday at Zac's.  He'd asked to speak to the cooks so Claire and I had come out from the kitchen to hear what he had to say. His comment was only spoiled a little when he explained that he'd taken food from restaurant bins.

Which is funny until you realise this is 2024 and people are having to rummage in bins for food.




9 comments:

Boud said...

It's sad to see what it's come to.

jabblog said...

It is sad, indeed.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, a compliment is a compliment!

Liz Hinds said...

My thoughts precisely, Debra! It was lovely of him to thank us.

Kathy G said...

Bless his heart! He didn't have to give you a compliment, but he chose to.

Boud said...

Your furlongs reminded me of rods, poles and perches, the sizes of which and how many fitted into which, now escapes me.

Anonymous said...

Five and a half feet Boud.

Ann said...

Reality takes the humor right out of it.

Anvilcloud said...

You're right. There is no excuse IMO.