Saturday, March 02, 2024

Missing St David

So, yesterday was St. David's Day and normally I'd post about that but yesterday was also quite busy with Zac's in the morning and Husband's hospital appointment in the afternoon.

The news wasn't quite as good as we'd hoped. His ear has healed well but the biopsy showed some remaining cancer cells so he has to have another chunk cut out. The doctor asked if he minded about how it would look as he'll probably be left with a wedge out of his ear. (The answer is he doesn't mind as long as they get all the cells. Me, I'm thinking how cool a big missing chunk would look. He could tell strangers he lost it wrestling with a shark.)

I'd planned for us to go out to eat to celebrate good news so, as it wasn't, we had a Chinese takeaway at home instead. The biggest takeaway we've ever had. It was the same quantity we've always ordered so maybe we're eating less (unlikely) or the portions were just exceptionally large. I had to leave some, and you won't hear me say that very often.

Today a thought occurred to me and I said to Husband, "You realise what this news means don't you? I'm going to have to keep on being nice and not nagging you to do things!"

"I'm sure you'll find a way," he said.

This lovely quilted wall-hanging was in the stairwell in the hospital.


* * * * *
I signed up recently for a newsletter called Letters of Note, from Shaun Usher. Yesterday this newsletter featured bits from letters all written on 1st March. This one from a letter from Boris Pasternak to his parents in 1930 sums up my relationship with important calendar dates perfectly.

"I should have remembered on the 22nd about your anniversary on February 27th. I did know and remember it, but there’s a big difference between an abstract awareness in one’s memory of a forthcoming date, and paying attention to the real days of our lives, which might pass without being numbered in any way, monotonously grim as they are, so many thousands of versts* from any kind of festivity. I had in my mind the last possible date for sending you a letter of congratulations to reach you by the 27th, and went on carrying the date with me and waiting, while the 27th itself had long come and gone."


*A verst is a unit of length of roughly one kilometre.

10 comments:

Boud said...

Sorry about the setback, and I hope it's soon resolved. I did wonder how come st David got past you this year. But there's always next year..

jabblog said...

I relate to Boris Pasternak's comments, have all the dates written in my diary and still miss some of them.
Wrestling with a shark sounds a good reason for a wonky ear, or he could have been fighting off an intruder.

Marie Smith said...

I pray the coming surgery fixes takes care of the problem!

Anvilcloud said...

We're not all getting great health news these days.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope the docs get all the remaining cancer cells when they take out that chunk of ear. I imagine that operation will be soon. Best wishes to your husband.

Kathy G said...

Sending healing thoughts your husband's way. Nowadays I need multiple reminders to remember dates and obligations.

Ann said...

Sorry to hear about your husbands appointment. Hope they can get all the cancer with the next surgery.

Terra said...

That is so cute when you said I will have to go on being nice! I hope your hubby's next surgery is completely successful. I had MOHS surgery for skin cancer two days ago and they said it is all gone. Praying for good health for us all.

Abby said...

Sorry your husband's still got some cancer fringe to clean out. Hoping the next surgery gets the last of it, and he can tell whatever story about his ear that he wants.

Cop Car said...

Wouldn't it be cool if the surgeon snipped the other ear to match? Think of the possible tales you and he could tell about his origins. (I do hope that all is well with the next fringe assessment.)

The quilt is lovely and you added to my state of knowledge by introducing me to a new, linear unit. Well done.