Saturday, March 02, 2024

I have a dream

Like Dr King although mine is rather more prosaic. No, not prosaic just simpler.


 A fence covered with rambling roses. What do you think?

I've already planned roses for the bit of wall that's been cleared but doing a bit of weeding out here this afternoon it struck me how much prettier this fencing would look covered in roses.

When the children were little we holidayed in the Isle of Wight and there I saw and fell in love with a red-brick walled rose garden. Since then I've longed for a red-brick walled rose garden. I thought it was in Osborne House, the holiday home of Queen Victoria, but looking at photos on google now I don't remember it being that grand so perhaps it was somewhere else. Anyway I can't have the wall but I can have the roses.

Trouble is I'm good at dreaming and thinking but less good at the actioning. And, of course, there's my plant-killing affliction.

Sitting here now looking at the fence I'm wondering what happens when the fence gets old and rots, if it's covered in roses. Aw, that'll probably be after our time so I won't worry too much about that.

And it just so happens my new rose catalogue arrived yesterday.

5 comments:

Kathy G said...

I think my botanical garden installs a layer of wire to the fence so the rose canes can be attached easily. You might want to look into that.

jabblog said...

'It's good to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna make that dream come true?' I think that's how the song goes . . .

Ann said...

I would love something like that but I don't have a green thumb and I hate gardening.

Boud said...

Are you looking up Cecile Brunner??

Anonymous said...

See if you can find a Falstaff rose. Old English variety, deep red, smells wonderful