Sunday, March 03, 2024

close to heaven

With it being St David's Day on Friday my Facebook page was filled with pictures of welshcakes people had made. 

Yesterday afternoon I could bear it no more. I weakened and made some. I thought I'd try a different recipe but I'm not impressed. I shall return to my old favourite, below.

A well-thumbed book as you can see, with all the pages falling out.

Makes 60 only if small.
The biggest problem I have making welshcakes is getting the right temperature on the griddle. My cakes inevitably have black bits - not the ones in the photo obviously - or are cooked so slowly they're a bit hard.

 Still, Husband and I managed to eat six of them last night.

As I was late making them it was too close to dinnertime to eat one warm from the griddle, but I tell you, a warm welshcake is the closest thing to heaven.

7 comments:

jabblog said...

I'm not surprised you weakened. After all, life is for living, not beating yourself up!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Glad they were a treat!

Marie Smith said...

Good memories and good food are a great combination!

Boud said...

Recipe idea noted, thanks. And I expect any time is good for Welsh cakes.

Anvilcloud said...

Makes me want to try some.

Ann said...

I've never had one but I have had things that taste like a little slice of heaven.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Admittedly, St David’s Day was unfamiliar to me, perhaps due to my non-British status. That said, I have learned more from other bloggers and now can include welsh cakes in that knowledge.