Tuesday, March 26, 2024

How the Welsh won Trafalgar


My problem is knowing when to stop with the daisies. I could have left off a few. I'm the same with sparkles.

So before I knew I would be leading Zac's tonight - the man meant to be doing forgot he was taking his wife away - I agreed to go on a river cruise with some friends. A river cruise = an hour and a half up and down the Tawe river. It was time I could ill spare but it was very good. The river valley has a lot of industrial history and the commentator was informative and fun. 

Husband and I had been on a similar trip ten years ago, not long after they began, and they're much more organised now. It's a charity made up of volunteers who drive, commentate, maintain the boat, and make cups of tea.

I couldn't get any photos today because my phone was playing up. "I need a new phone," I told Husband when I got home. He switched off and on again and said, "No, you don't. It's fine now."

I got home about an hour ago and have added final touches to my preparation for the study. I usually like to practise it but I'll just have to read from my notes this evening, having made my excuses first.

Three facts from my trip: Swansea has the second biggest tide in the world; the battle of Trafalgar was won thanks to the copper-bottomed boats of the British Navy, the copper having been produced in Swansea; and the only known occasion when yellow fever was transmitted in the UK was when a number of infected mosquitoes travelled to Swansea from Cuba with a cargo of copper ore.

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Liz, the book arrived this morning. I am really enjoying it!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh thank you, Marie!

jabblog said...

Wasn't Dylan Thomas mentioned, or is it assumed that everyone knows all about him?
Interesting about the copper-bottomed ships.

Ann said...

Oh I like all those daisies on that cake.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think you have just the right number of daisies on the birthday cake!

Anvilcloud said...

I dunno, once phones start fooling around, their days may be numbered.

Boud said...

You can't have too many daisies on a cake. The Welsh won a lot of stuff.

Tasker Dunham said...

Which reminds me of a tongue twister: Are you copper bottoming 'em my man? No, I'm aluminiuming 'em my mum.

Ole phat Stu said...

Afaik the copper for Trafalgar ships was produced in Angelsey?????

Ole phat Stu said...

BTW HMS Victory is docked in Plymouth and can be visited there. I did in Sept 2016 and blogged about the tour back then. See my archives.