Friday, June 09, 2023

How does my garden grow?


I remember as a child that though we had peonies growing in the garden we never picked them and took them in the house. If you ever stuck your nose in one you'd find the reason: ants. 

Now, growing peonies in my own garden, I still don't pick them - though that is because until this year the number of blooms has been quite small - but I also haven't noticed any ants in them.

I was reminded of the relationship between ants and peonies by a post on Ann's blog. A bit of research tells me that ants and peonies have a mutually beneficial relationship. Peonies provide nectar for the ants to eat and ants protect the blooms from other insects that may feed on flowers. Unlike aphids ants don't harm the flowers. So there you have it.

You may notice in the top left corner of the photo the first rose on one of my newly-planted bushes. I have gone mad for roses recently and just last night ordered two more. 

I always opt for the highly-fragranced ones even though my sense of smell is just about gone. My thinking is that I may not be able to enjoy the perfume but it will be lovely for others who sit in the arbour or walk around the garden.

I am grieving for my lost sense though.

In another part of the garden a rambling rose - not planted by me - is going wild, branching over the path and the ?* bush. I can't remember its name but each day it drops its flowers for more to bloom the next day.


* Cistus







6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

June was wild roses month on the prairies when I was a kid. Oh, the heavenly scent of a big bank of them! My Mom loved peonies too and taught me to always brush off as many ants as I could find before bringing any cuttings into the house.

Marie Smith said...

The peonies are beautiful! The ants are a necessary evil I guess.

Boud said...

I used to douse the peony heads briefly in water, and shake the ants off, they don't like water, before giving them, the flowers not the ants, to a neighbor who always got excited with her annual bouquet from my garden.

Ann said...

I never pick the peonies either. The one time I did I ended up with a bunch of ants in the house. I thought I had shook them all out but apparently they were hiding.

Liz Hinds said...

I read that dousing them in water first solves the problem but I think I'll just enjoy ours outdoors.

Anvilcloud said...

Those two plants — peonies and roses — are likely considered to be queens of the garden. At least I think that is what I have heard.