Sunday, May 28, 2023

Spiders are people too

I have been remiss about blogging and blog visiting these last few days. Partly busyness, partly lying in the sun reading. We don't get that much sun so we have to make the most of it, that's my excuse. Hence some serious cobwebs, and much cleaning indoors required.

I say that as if I would normally remove the cobwebs while I don't. Spiders are people too. It's only when there is a danger of people getting their hair trapped in them that I get out my feather duster.

Trying hard to think what I've been doing when not lying in the sun. Hm. Ah yes, Thursday early morning ice cream in Verdi's with old school friend Vivien during which we discussed, amongst other things, the reunion of the week before. Vivien knows a lot about lots of people. I know nothing about anybody. I put this down to my reluctance to ask questions and my maybe obvious boredom when people start going on too long. Oh and the fact that I may hear things but it doesn't mean I listen or retain.

Friday, Zac's in the morning as usual, home to lie in the sun. And have a swim in the pool.

Surprisingly pleasant once I got used to it.

Saturday morning another attempt at a clothes sale at Zac's. A few more people than previously but still not really worth the effort. We gave away more clothes than we sold, and at least one item (denim dungarees) was stolen. The joy the children of one of our regular families showed when getting new clothes made our morning, as did the man who was passing and who didn't want to buy anything but gave us his loose change.

We were just about to close the doors at 1.00 pm when a family of grandmother, two daughters, and two grandchildren, arrived and asked if they could just have a quick look. Thirty minutes later after they'd gone through all the bags we'd already packed up as well as all the stuff still out, they haggled over being charged £17 for two huge bags of clothes (50p an item). They accepted an offer of £15. They were very nice though.

Found out during the morning that two of our regulars were in hospital. One had had a fit and collapsed on the street and cracked his head open; the other had her jaw broken when she was beaten up.

Came home tired and ready to be looked after. We were having a family barbecue and when talking about it I'd rebelled. Husband always grumbles at my poor communication - he likes to know who's coming when and what's happening etc while I shrug and say, "Oh you know, whenever." He also grumbles that I buy too much food. So last week I said, "Right, it's down to you. You can plan the barbecue, arrange the times, make sure people know, and buy all the food. I'm doing nothing."

When I got home from Zac's the first thing he said was, "I forgot to get coleslaw and stuff. Can you pop to the shop?"

Apart from that though he did a fine job, ably assisted by Elder Son, who brought his smoker and prepared lots of meat and a Moroccan smoked cauliflower.
And Daughter made some lovely pizza rolls.
A jolly afternoon was had by all and we're doing it again on Monday. Today I have GrandDaughter1 for our special time (a trip to Costa and McDonalds followed by teen-appropriate tv - which I really enjoy.) The weather is gorgeous though so I shall insist we spend some time outside.

Tuesday evening I am leading Zac's so have to find time somewhere to prepare . . .






5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like BBQs should be Husband's new job!

Boud said...

I hear your reluctance to ask questions. I've always thought if people wanted to tell me things they would. Which is why I'm often out of the loop!

I like your live and let live approach to spiders. And to insisting you're not the only person to cater for the family. Go you!

Ole phat Stu said...

Have you ever seen a camel spider ? They are scarily big.

Kathy G said...

I think our similar attitudes towards housework could make us BFFs in real life.

Ann said...

Oh that food looks good