Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Ne'er cast a clout

Another lovely family barbecue yesterday when the subject of our favourite vegetable arose, as it frequently does. Not just taste but also versatility. No outright winner but cauliflower, broccoli and spinach all in the running. Aubergines and peas also in the fight. (Some vegetables like onions, garlic, potatoes and tomatoes not included because taken as invaluable.)

The recent bout of sunshine, though it has led to a messy house, has resulted in the opening up of lots of flowers in the garden.

Lupins and foxgloves have taken over this corner of the garden.

The first of the peony flowers.

Sadly my other peony had to be dug up to make way for the arbour. I transplanted it and to my amazement it has grown though with no flowers this year. I'm hoping they will appear next year.

And reading Boud's blog reminded me of the little ditty my grandmother would bring every year when I wanted to take off my liberty bodice too early. "Ne'er cast a clout till May be out." There was always some argument (between me and my gran) about whether that meant the flower or the month but the latter is almost out and the former is very definitely out.
The hawthorn trees over the tip are all covered in blossom. Apparently the hawthorn is called the May tree because it flowers in May. (Now why has that never occurred to me?) However climate change is bringing flowering forward so my grandmother would definitely have insisted the rhyme meant the month, keeping me wrapped up as long as possible for fear of me catching a cold from a sudden change in the temperature.

Although I do have wonder why there's a pair of pants (not mine) on the dining room floor.


5 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

If I recall correctly, you are a Brit, and pants means something different to you.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Your flowers are gorgeous!

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, Anvilcloud - underwear type pants.

Thanks, Debra.

Ann said...

Pretty flowers. My peonies haven't bloomed yet

Cop Car said...

That's one gorgeous peony blossom!