Friday, May 19, 2023

Four bare-chested men

Four young men joined the queue for food today. They didn't look like our usual guests. Healthy, fit - they were bare-chested and tanned - I would guess they were working on a building site nearby.

I am inclined to the view that anyone who wants food can get it from us but these four pushed it to the limit. Maybe we should have asked them to come back at the end and if there was food left they could have some. But then we'd be guilty of judging by appearance, and assuming that because they were in work (probably) they wouldn't need free food. 

Then again should someone who most probably could pay for it take food that is intended for those who can't? We do usually have some food left at the end. Some days we have loads. Yesterday and today we completely ran out. (Ninety-one and eight-five meals served.)

Our usual 'bouncer' and Boss Man wasn't in today. He can make the decision next week. 

We're very strict about not handing out two portions at once. We almost demand a 'doctor's note' if they claim it's for their friend who's sick. That said, we usually say, "Oh just this once then."

It's a dilemma.

Afterwards I went to Tesco's and was sitting outside waiting for Husband to pick me up, doing a bit of people watching. A lot of older ladies I noticed were smartly dressed. Smart casual, neat and nicely co-ordinated. Me, I'm more of scruffy casual. I do brush up okay but only if I make the effort because I'm going out for tea or lunch or want to look like a lady. Not when I'm going shopping.

Men, on the other hand, were almost all scruffy casual.

5 comments:

Boud said...

I wonder if there are protocols about asking if they need help finding work, as a way to trigger a bit of disclosure? Or of requiring tasks as part of the deal, when clearly able bodied people show up? Just wondering.

I get that you don't want to prejudge. It may be worth bringing up with the director so that it doesn't become a freeloading
stop for working people who don't need it. You do need a clear policy that's fair all round.

Ann said...

I imagine it would be a tough call deciding to turn someone away.

Anvilcloud said...

I don't think anyone should be bare chested. I'll make an exception for beaches, though. And it's maybe because my chest is nothing to parade about. 😄

Anonymous said...

Denying food after yoe bragged about YOUR food YESTERDAY? SHAME ON YOU!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Lots of older ladies DO get all dolled up to go ANYWHERE. Conditioning, I guess.