Tuesday, February 07, 2023

The perfect day


One benefit of spending time with GrandDaughter1 - apart from learning all about drive-thrus  - is that I get to watch teen films, and I have to say I enjoy them.

I read To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han  because GrandDaughter1 said it was her favourite book, and last week we watched the film of it. This last Sunday we watched The Perfect Date. Both sweet and funny and suitably full of painful teenage angst. 

It amazes me that all the boys in these films, and girls come to that, have cars, and routinely drive to school. And they're all so grown-up. I was nothing like that when I was in school. Scared to say boo to a duck and embarrassed by everything.

That was scaredy me though. Things probably haven't changed that much really when it comes to boy girl relationships.

That was Sunday; yesterday it was exercise class followed by a walk on the beach with Daughter and Louie, and later Husband was fitted with a heart monitor to wear for 24 hours. Next week he has an ECG appointment. Hopefully the slight deterioration they spotted last time won't have got worse.

Today it's full-on prep for Zac's tonight. Life in general has meant I haven't done as much as I normally would have by this stage of the day so today will be busy busy busy. So really I shouldn't be sitting here blogging . . .

6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Your grandchildren are fortunate to have you as their gran, Liz.

Janie Junebug said...

The kids in the movies have such nice clothes, too. When I was that age I was terrified of calling attention to myself and usually mortified when someone noticed me because it always seemed to be for the wrong reason--my outfit was too green or someone said my coat looked like a horse blanket. I had a black velvet coat and was so proud of it until a boy asked why I wore my bathrobe to school. Horrors!

Love,
Janie

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you, Marie. x

That's true, Janie. GrandDaughter1 hates to call attention to herself too. And I did.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Emotionally, I'm sure teens of today are just the same as we were at that age. People don't change that much in a couple of generations. But many of them are much more affluent, that's true. Plus they live in a world of cyber-bullying whereas we just had to endure old-fashioned bullying. I'm glad not to be a teen today.

Liz Hinds said...

Me too, Debra.

Ann said...

How fun to have a teen granddaughter to share the books and movies with.