Tuesday, January 10, 2023

A sad post

We use the university gym and at the moment one of the sports halls is being used for exams. Walking past it yesterday I peeped in to see all the students with their heads bent over their desks and memories came rushing back of my days as a student and in particular of my first year uni exams that happened at this time of year.

The night before my very first exam my mum had a brain haemorrhage. 

I'd gone to bed but been woken up by the noise of her falling in the bathroom, which was next door to my bedroom. I got up and looked in to see her lying on the floor blood trickling from her mouth. My grandmother was next on the scene. She said, "Get dressed and go and call the doctor."

That meant running to the phone kiosk at the end of the road. I can't imagine what sort of garbled message I gave but the doctor understood, said he'd be there soon.

He must have called an ambulance as well because by the time I got back - I'd had to go via my auntie's to tell her and ask her to come - the ambulance was waiting and soon my mum was carried out. 

Everything is really a bit of a blur from then on. I think my gran and auntie must have gone in the ambulance and I went back to bed. "You've got an exam tomorrow," they said.

I scraped through my exams but I think my uncle contacted the university authorities to explain the situation so maybe they were lenient with me because I remember sitting in the exam hall staring blankly at the paper wondering what on earth I was supposed to write and why did it matter anyway when my mum was in hospital and quite possibly dying.

She didn't die then but about three weeks later. She never came home from hospital and never really knew me again.


12 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

A sad story and sad memory indeed. Hugs.

Janie Junebug said...

I'm sorry. What an awful way to lose your mom.

Love,
Janie

Marie Smith said...

Such a sad memory. I am so sorry! Sending a hug across the pond!

Ann said...

Oh my, that is a sad story. I wouldn't have been able to concentrate to take an exam after all of that.

Boud said...

So sorry, Liz. Awful memories.

My dad went like that in my first term at uni. I was home and had to take charge.
He lived longer, paralyzed. Mom next,in my third year. Both died, mom without knowing me again, by the time I graduated. I was 21, first in my family to go to the uni. They'd gone before I graduated.

It changes who you are.

Kathy G said...

It's amazing how seeing something years later can bring back memories.

PipeTobacco said...

Oh my goodness…. I am very, very sorry for what you had to go through. Just because it was long ago, does not really diminish the effect nor how it has shaped you. I can sadly understand how you are feeling, at least to a degree. Hugs.

Ole phat Stu said...

What a sad story Liz. Makes me think I had it easy in comparison. Dad died in his 60s and Mom in her 80s.

Liz Hinds said...

Thank you all. Boud, that must have been horrendous. Such a lot on your shoulders.

Boud said...

No, thank you! For letting me blurt that out in your blog. What triggered it was that I was reading on my dad's birthday.

Liz Hinds said...

So many little things can trigger us and they catch us unawares.

Cop Car said...

Such a sad time for you and your family. It must be awful to have that association in your memory. Hugs to you.