Tuesday, October 04, 2022

Better latte than never

Over on her blog Kathy has a quick guide to coffee. I've copied the image from her.

Now out of those I'd choose tea every time - except when I'm abroad. Then I usually have fruit juice, freshly squeezed if available. (Another thing French peage service stations are good for.)

In the UK Husband will choose an Americano with milk - is that the same as a flat white? - or a latte, but try asking for a latte in Italy. 

In a rather lovely coffee shop near where Younger Son lives Husband persevered in trying to order a latte. When the waiter brought over a tall cup of hot frothy milk Husband called him back. "You've brought me the wrong order."

After some arm-waving, speaking slowly, and confusion we realised that there was a little jug next to the mug of milk. A little jug containing a shot of espresso to pour into the milk. 

After much apologising this time, Husband asked for another espresso. Even then, with two in the large mug, he said he could have done with another.

When we got back to the house we asked Nuora about it. "Oh no, Italians don't do latte."

They do however do delicious croissants - as I think I mentioned before.




6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When I was in Italy, I just drank Americano because then I knew what I'd be getting, LOL! Those pastries do look very good -- it was in Italy where I first got addicted to Nutella which was often the creamy centre of the breakfast croissants.

Liz Hinds said...

I think Husband's this time was a custardy cream filling but last time he had a nutella cream one.

Ole Phat Stu said...

My favourite is Latte Machiato on Ice. With a shot of Baileys.

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the mention. Your pastries look lovely.

pam nash said...

I'll take the croissants and, stick to fruit juice.

PipeTobacco said...

The pastries look amazing! Coffee for me…. always black…. only black…. but “Americano”….. always is to me, too timid in flavor…..ROBUSTO is what I desire. :)

PipeTobacco