Friday, September 09, 2022

God save the King

While I am ambivalent about the monarchy I know that the Queen believed it was her duty to serve and she did that faithfully for over seventy years, without scandal or indiscretion. I very much doubt we'll see her like again.

But I am quite glad we will be away for most of the next few weeks. 

I switched on the radio in the car today and heard my first rendition of God Save the King. It will be strange. It has been God Save the Queen for the whole of my lifetime,



And I have already signed a petition saying a new prince of Wales should not be appointed. We've had an English Prince of Wales for too long. No more.

7 comments:

Boud said...

With you there. Also it's time for the state religion to be separate from laws and government. No king should lead a religion.

LL Cool Joe said...

I'm not a Royalist at all, but do think the Queen did a great job. I really have no desire to be ruled by King Charles or any other member of the Royal family.

Terra said...

The Queen will be missed by me here in California and by her admirers around the world.

Boud said...

Alas, in his first address to the nation, the new King upheld the Church of England and named William Prince of Wales.

Liz Hinds said...

Oh Boud, did you hear me screaming at the radio when I heard that?

MaryB said...

I know I'm an American weighing in on this, and God knows we're as screwed up as a country can be (thank you, Trump voters *sarcasm*), but we were talking yesterday, wondering if now is the right time to end all this monarchy stuff. Leave it with Elizabeth II. It's the 21st century and y'all are big girls now. Keep the castles and stuff - we love touring those - pay the Windsor/Mountbatten/Whatevers a little cash to open bridges and hospitals, but otherwise, off ya' go. And, yes, a Prince of Wales should live and breathe and have his being in Wales. Otherwise??? And honestly, every time I see "Charles III" I cringe. Ugh. Thank you, Elizabeth, but no more. Y'all keep me posted on what real folks think because we're only getting the official versions. Also, will more commonwealth countries go their own way now? Why would they stay? (Sorry, lots of questions.)

Liz Hinds said...

Yay, Mary!