Wednesday, August 03, 2022

Bloviating

Turns out I wasn't leading Zac's last night. I'd forgotten Stu had asked me to swap. So I'm prepared early for next week!

A miserable grey and damp night to meet outside and not many turned up. Three appeared and turned around and went home straight again - was it something we said? - but the stalwarts stuck it out and had a good chat. I am now left with a lot of chocolate crispy marshmallow cakes. I shall have to hide them until the children come otherwise Husband and I will eat them all.

It turns out there is a word for what I was doing yesterday. Susie Dent, of Countdown fame, publishes a Word of the Day and yesterday's was:

‘bloviate’ (19th century): to speechify or sound off on subjects the bloviator probably knows very little about.

Today I shall check my article before sending it off, finish writing my talk and record it, and . . . hm, maybe some gardening. I need exercise.

For one reason or another - sometimes my confusion - I haven't been to exercise class for two/three weeks, and haven't had to do my regular chilli cooking session either so have unexpectedly free time. Must not spend it idly. 

No comments: