Wednesday, August 03, 2022

I'm a mutant but not a turtle

Ninja maybe.

There used to be a dearth of books featuring black, Asian or disabled young people. In my growing-up years everyone in books was white, middle class and - unless the father had tragically died - with two parents. 

Fortunately today's books for children and young people are much more diverse. In fact there can't be many children who can grumble, "Why isn't there anyone like me in books?"

I don't think I ever thought about it when I was little so when I did come across a book with a character like me in it I was surprised - and it wasn't entirely a good surprise.

The book was The Chrysalids by John Wyndham and the character was named Sophie. The thing that was special about her - and me - was that she had six toes. 

In this post-apocalyptic novel, the survivors believe that in order to prevent another God-sent Tribulation they must practise eugenics. Humans with even minor mutations are considered blasphemies and are either killed, sterilised or banished to the Fringes, a lawless area outside the bounds of normal society.

So I finally find myself in a novel and I'm a mutant.

I read a lot of John Wyndham in my teenage years, and I've just ordered The Chrysalids from the library so I can read it again - now I come to think of it it might be on my bookshelf somewhere . . . well, what do you know? There it is on the top shelf, amongst the cobwebs, next to my Barbara Pyms.


I remember when I read my first Barbara Pym, probably in my twenties, and my delight when I discovered there were a whole lot more I could read. Delight was quickly followed by disappointment when I found out she was dead, meaning it wasn't an unlimited number.


 

7 comments:

Boud said...

Fortunately Pym can be read many times and still work!

About fairytales not books: I loved snow white because she had dark hair like me, not the inevitable blonde! But she was rare.

PipeTobacco said...

Do you have six toes on each foot? Developmentally, this is referred to as polydactylism and I talk about it in my embryology course. There are polydactyl cats that we see commonly (at least in the US). They are sometimes referred to as “Hemingway’s Cats” as he had a few that would breed in a sort of “feral” way on his estate in Florida. It is theorized that most polydactyl cats in the US descend from these cats. I had a very cute, loving “tuxedo” polydactyl cat while in graduate school and into after I got married. He was wonderful and lived to almost 19 years

Liz Hinds said...

She can, Boud. I'm currently reading an Elizabeth Taylor novel.

Just on my left foot, PipeTobacco.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, I left another brilliant comment on this post but clearly Blogger ate it again. Darn software!

Boud said...

Have you noticed it's always the best, most incisive and important comments that don't appear?

Cop Car said...

Nice to know, Liz, that you are capable of counting to a higher number than am I.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Question (to Pipe Tobacco) :
What percentage of people are polydactylic?