Friday, January 07, 2022

Retching

Feeling very slightly ropey so did a test just in case. I am certain it will be negative but must try and be a good citizen - in spite of the example set by politicians. Pah humbug.

The fact that I am retching before I have even opened my mouth doesn't help my technique. 'Don't let the swab touch your tongue or teeth or gums.' Seriously? They think my tongue is under anyone's control? How do you keep it out of the way?


Now I think I will reward myself - for having written my next article for The Bay as well as enduring a test - by sitting down with a cup of tea and reading. My current read, one I had for Christmas, is Ellie and the Harpmaker, by Hazel Prior who also wrote Away with the Penguins, which I loved.

I am struggling to lay it aside at night - which could explain my headache today. Well, that and the stress of my dream where I was struggling to get a restaurant ready and didn't know where to put anything or where anything was.

Assuming my test is negative I will pop to the library tomorrow to pick up two books I've ordered: Jews Don't Count by David Baddiel, and Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart. I've had an email saying they're ready. Also had an email saying my Monday morning exercise class isn't starting again until the end of January (probably) for social distancing reasons. Thankfully I've eaten just about everything I bought 'for Christmas' but I could do with some more exercise, otherwise George and I will both turn into little puddings waddling down the road. (George expects a treat every time he has eye drops put in.) (Which reminds me: he's due for some.)

9 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope the test is negative and you feel better soon, Liz!

Boud said...

This test must be the one you can get sent by NJ to di at home. You have to do it on Zoom with a technician bossing the procedure. That puts me off totally, having to keep Zoom working, tablet steady, while taking instructions and swabbing. I hope it's negative anyway.

pam nash said...

Like those above - I hope the test is negative and the upset tummy turns out to be nothing serious.

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks all, test negative. Boud, you do it at home with no-one watching.

Boud said...

Those are the kind we can't lay hands on. Expensive, too. The State stepped in with this free offer. I guess they're making sure it's done right. But you send back the sample and wait for lab results. Not exactly rapid!

Boud said...

And I posted before saying I'm glad it's negative.

Liz Hinds said...

Boud, the tests are free here.

Kathy G said...

Glad to hear your 'ropeyness' is something other than Covid. Get well soon!

Polly said...

Glad to hear it was negative. The latest tests I received from the NHS only needed swabs from the nose.
I also loved "Away With The Penguins"