Saturday, January 08, 2022

Those were the days my friend

A friend asked on Facebook where it was possible to see tents on display. Her friend replied, 'They used to do it in this shop, but it's closed now.'

That reminded me of my habit of using old landmarks to direct people. 'It's where the swimming baths used to be,' or, 'You turn where the shoe shop was.' The fact that the person I'm directing or explaining to is too young to remember the swimming baths, or comes from elsewhere and has no reason to know where the shoe shop was, is irrelevant. I know where I mean!

Another friend posted this meme:


In response I posted this:

Me mid-70s, long hair and bell-bottoms

What about you? You want to post your photo? I'd love to see them.

12 comments:

pam nash said...

When looking back at past pictures, it appears I was the picture taker - not the takee. Lots of pictures of my then, small daughters though none of me.

Liz Hinds said...

Yes, Pam, I have to make sure I ask Husband to take my photo sometimes just to prove I did exist!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I looked like that too! Long hair in the early 70s, shorter hair in the later 70s.

Cop Car said...

My daughters wore the look in the 1970s. They would have been embarrassed had I tried it. The only bell-bottoms I wore were issued by the US Navy Reserves in 1980.

Kathy G said...

Nice photo! Did you know that bell bottoms are back in style this season?

Boud said...

O pix of me. Cameras didn't feature in my life I guess. Hipster jeans, tasselled belts. Oversized jackets. We thought we looked so cool. And so individual. Except exactly like our friends..

Boud said...

And I bow to no one in my ability to direct people to turn at the corner, forget the street name, it's where the Acme supermarket was before it burned down and now it's just blacktop with some other building. Or maybe a gas station. Anyway, turn there..

Liz Hinds said...

Debra, I even went through the short curly perms - twice! Dare I show a photo?

Excellent bell bottoms to wear, CopCar!

I didn't know that, Kathy, but I do still like them.

Yes, Boud, it's not until you look at photos like these that you realise how alike we all looked. And I think we would get on well! WE wouldn't be able to find anything but we'd enjoy trying.

Marie Smith said...

You look exactly like I did in the 70s. It wasn’t that long ago surely!

Around here, the same happens with directions. A life-long Islander directs people with names of landmark buildings long gone. It is a running joke on the island.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahaha, I did the short, curly perm too -- ONCE. I've burned all photographic evidence of that mistake!

Leslie: said...

My Dad referred to my hair as "dearly hair" and I looked like Buffy St. Marie, a native Indian singer here. (I assume he was insulting me.

Leslie: said...

Drapery hair!!!