Wednesday, January 05, 2022

Lupins?

I've cooked for my family and others for over forty-three years but I've never once thought to include lupins in my menus.

Does anyone cook with lupins? Does it provide the mystery ingredient in ... something? How do you find out if you're allergic to lupins? 

I mean, if you can be allergic to lupins, is there anything else I should be wary of? What about snowdrops? We're rapidly approaching snowdrop season. I might be tempted.

All these things I didn't know I should be worrying about.




8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's a mystery to me!

Richard said...

I don't know how to eat them. But they remind me of lima beans. I've tried them in antipasto.
You can search "tarwi" on the internet.

Richard said...

I forgot to say that they have alkaloids. If you decide to learn about tarwi, you might also want to investigate "lathyrism". Fava beans also come to mind, but i can eat them with no problem.

Kathy G said...

I had no idea what a lupin was until Google educated me.

Boud said...

That was a puzzling entry. Everything else made sense though, especially the sulfur dioxide, which gives me asthmatic. Can't think how anyone knows about lupin unless a small child sampled it and reacted.

Boud said...

I typed asthma. Interfere text subbed the wrong word, arghgh.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling that snowdrops are bad for you so I wouldn't try them.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Lupin, often with Arsene in it, makes any meat taste like Wolf.

Terrible puns, I'm sorry.