Friday, January 21, 2022

Big in Canada

On her blog Marie lists the household gadgets that have been breaking down for her recently. It seems to happen like that, lots altogether, doesn't it? One of the worn out items is her tin opener, which reminded me about the industrial one we have in Zac's.

Seriously, I almost put it on my Christmas list but didn't because the number of tins I open in a week doesn't justify the expensive price. But I love it. Here is one being demonstrated.

Don't be fooled by appearance: that man is a bad demonstrator. They should have had me instead. I'd have shown the joy, the feeling of empowerment that comes from slamming that handle down. 

Each week when I'm making chilli in Zac's I need to open five large tins of tomatoes and kidney beans. And those few moments of 'Urrh!' Oh wonderful. 

I mentioned to one of the Zac's men how much I loved it. Stu, who is a big strong carpenter, agreed. In fact he was the one who first used the word empowering. So I'm not at all weird.

In other news I'm big in Canada. Strictly speaking BMCR (Christian radio station) is big in Canada. I say 'big'; I have no ideas of numbers but probably only in the tens! it's just taking off.

As you may know I write and record a weekly talk on Everyday Life (not my choice of title) that is broadcast on Sundays and Wednesdays. Now the station is rejigging its overnight schedule so listeners across the world, particularly in Canada, can hear shows at a reasonable hour. 

My little offering will be going at 3.30 GMT on a Thursday morning which translates, I'm told, to 21.30 or 22.30 depending on where you are in Canada. (You're after us, aren't you, so that must be Thursday evening.)

As you might guess, my talks are more about my struggles - but in a light-hearted way - rather than my spiritual highs. Having read some of the more traditional pieces in their Thoughts for The Day on FaceBook, I'm surprised I'm still allowed on!

I think you can Ask Alexa. Or use the Zeno app. 

https://zeno.fm/radio/bmcchristianradio/

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

When you become a big star here in Canada, I'll be able to say to all my jealous friends, "Oh, Liz Hinds? Yes, I've been reading her books and following her blog for years, dahling, simply YEARS!" I love being avant-garde!

Boud said...

We knew her when!! I was a bit baffled by the comment that we're after you, till I remembered you're in the UK. Ah. I think Eastern time, which is the zone I'm in is five hours different. Debra is maybe two more hours, perhaps mountain time?
Anyway it would be fun to hear your voice if I can find you.

Liz Hinds said...

Precisely Debra. My books will be priceless!

Boud, you can hear me on my Christian podcast or the one where I read This Time Next Year! I'll put some links when I find them!

Kathy G said...

I've used one of those can openers, too. It was satisfying.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, Boud, we're on Mountain Time here, so we're even further behind!

Marie Smith said...

Thanks for the shout-out Liz. I continue to use the key opener. It’s perfect!

Cop Car said...

One of our most appreciated wedding gifts in 1958 was a manual tin opener that mounted to the wall. I loved that thing. It lasted for years and years, even being kept in a drawer and unused during years in which there was no place in which it could be mounted that was closer than the garage. (I moved a bit in my first 52 years.) Over the years, I've watched friends open their tins with electrically powered openers. I have always thought that unnecessary, for most people. All these years later, I am still using a manual opener, even if it does not hang from a wall. When push comes to shove, I've even been known to open a tin using my great-grandmother's method - with a heavy kitchen knife applied, point-first, in the center of the lid.