Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Silly old bats

On the radio this morning it said that the average Brit puts up the Christmas tree 27 days before Christmas.

I am of the opinion that the majority of people leave it until early to mid-December, which means, according to my admittedly ropey statistical analysis, this means some people must put them up in July.

Needless to say Husband disagrees with me. He suggests November 1st if the graph follows a normal distribution i.e. peak in the middle, or t distribution, which I thought meant something other than what is shown in the image. 

Normal


t distribution - which looks the same?


Further investigation on my part tells me that it is chi square distribution that I am thinking of.


* * * * * *
Still on a vaguely - very vaguely - mathematical theme, last night we were discussing the app that has allocated every place in the world a unique three word identifier. I suggested they could do the same for people. (Because now obviously all of us who've had our Covid jabs have had a microchip inserted.)

I asked what three words could be used for me. Without so much as a blink Husband said, 'Silly Old Bat.'

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

All I know about math is that 2 + 2 = 5.

I won't ask what your 3 word designation for your husband was.

Tasker Dunham said...

I think it would be a skewed distribution - pernickety neurodiverse git.

Kathy G said...

Your math explanation could have been in a foreign language, for as little as I understood it :-)

PipeTobacco said...

Ouch…. Statistics and probabilities….. I have been working on those all day for my research. Statistical analysis is exhausting!

PipeTobacco

Polly said...

Anything maths related goes right over my head. I didn't do decorations last year, except outside lights, but I'm going to do some this year, probably in the second week of Dec.