Wednesday, June 09, 2021

Sunshine and shivering

It was a lovely day yesterday so I took Granddaughter3 to Gnoll Country Park. I was only introduced to this park a year or so ago and it really is lovely. 



The rare headless swan

Then yesterday evening we had Zac's first in-person gathering of the year on the beach. It was a beautiful evening but, as always, I dressed inappropriately and nearly froze. My legs were literally shivering with the cold. Ridiculous for June. Nevertheless there were people going in swimming. None of us though. 

Although before we gathered I did pop to a different bit of beach to collect some stones. As we hadn't had a chance all together to remember Paul I gave out the stones ('You haven't washed them!' 'This one's too rough, haven't you got a smooth one?' 'Why haven't you written on them?') and suggested we do something with them in tribute. 

Now I'd only come up with this idea late afternoon so it wasn't fully formed. I vaguely thought we could make a little cairn or a cross, but a much better idea was suggested. Nigel wrote out words from one of Paul's sandwich boards, and we placed our stones on it. There weren't quite enough to fill all the words so Tamsin and a couple of others collected more shells to complete it. 




Ric (third from left) said they were all laughing at me waddling backwards but I don't believe that. Me waddle?


Today it is grey, rainy and cold. Such is Wales in the summer. Ooh, interesting note: I've been invited to a party in a Hell's Angels' clubhouse. Wonder if I should go on my scooter.

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That was a beautiful ritual of remembrance for Paul. We're having a cold and rainy week here too.

Boud said...

I know the Welsh coast in summer. And forgetting the wind.

Nice tribute you all put together there.

Marie Smith said...

Love the headless swans. The scooter is a great idea!

Ole Phat Stu said...

Don't write Hells Angels with apostrophes, they don't like that.
Spell it how I have done.

PipeTobacco said...

Going to a Hells Angels party sounds both nerve wracking and fun. I hope you go and then will write about it for us!!!!

Do you *have* a scooter? I would love to see a photo of it. Vespa? I had a moped at one time. That was fun.

Who is the fellow with the big beard in the last photo? I had been thinking that was Ric, but I think you were referencing the photo above the “third” listing.

Do you have any news updates about your writing (novels)? I admire that you do that very much.

PipeTobacco