Friday, October 09, 2020

Got me down to a T

It appears that I have inadvertently spent my life doing exactly what I was made for: being a kept woman.

Our Chancellor has suggested that people involved in the Arts should consider retraining and finding a proper job instead of grumbling that the government isn't helping artists during the current Covid crisis. To assist them find an alternative there is a career assessment test on the government website, and lots of people have been doing it and tweeting their results.

Never one to miss an opportunity to waste time I took the test. After doing so it gave me three options and I had to answer further questions in each of those. And the final result was:

I am officially unemployable. Sounds about right.

And I wasn't trying to be awkward; I answered the questions to the best of my ability.

My sons have both just done the test. For Elder Son the recommendations are that he should become a pro footballer (a bit old?) or an actor (hm, in the Arts you mean?) Younger Son's were slightly more sensible with cricketeer or cycling coach. At least he's a keen cycler and he did play cricket twice when he was in Cubs.


11 comments:

Cop Car said...

Wow! You must be a Jill of all trades, Liz, to have come up blank. Not being able to access the test that you took, I accessed a (similar?) online test. At 85% level of match, I came out with Agricultural Scientist or Forester followed at 79% with Civil Engineer, Dental Practitioner, or Forestry Advisor. And here I wasted my whole professional career diddling about in aircraft structures engineering, sensing & control systems, and airbase planning. Gad! I would never, ever want to be a dentist! Perhaps I am better off remaining unemployed.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I wonder how the Chancellor would score on that test?

Marie Smith said...

Good grief. What next?

Liz Hinds said...

That's a much better way of thinking of it, CopCar!

Indeed, Debra. Probably board member. That's what most of them go on to do.

It does seem fairly random, Marie, especially as the test was very unspecific in its questions.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Please give us the link, Liz, so we can see how (in)competent we are too ;-)

PipeTobacco said...

It would be wonderful to try that test.

Liz Hinds said...

Here's the link: https://beta.nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

I've been reading an article in today's Guardian about the survey today and see that virtually everyone has been recommended to become a boxer. So it's tuning in perfectly to everyone's frustration and boredom... what my husband used to call "the gribbles".
Expect giant punchbags in every town square.

Liz Hinds said...

A friend of mine who is a nuclear physicist got the boxer option too, Sonata. I think we all could do with a punchbag.

Ole Phat Stu said...

I followed your link, Liz, and was advised :-
Manager, technical architect, but NOT a boxer :-(

So, to sum up : been there, done that.
No exciting alternatives offered :-(

pam nash said...

Hmmmmm - the career assessment test sounds like it was written by someone with too much time on their hands or possibly in the wrong job. Guess they need to take it also!