Sunday, September 22, 2019

The Uffizi sparrow

A number of them enjoyed the crumbs - not many after I'd licked the plate - left over from our sort of custard tart thing.

And on the topic of animals it was interesting to read that a dog was not considered suitable material for a scared painting. Or a sacred one. 
They were, however, regarded as a sign of marital fidelity if included in a secular painting. (I thought I had an example but it appears not.)

And I can only imagine the size of the spiders that made these webs on Isola Povlese. Many of the trees were coated in this fine silver film.


2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I wonder how they regarded cats in sacred paintings? Probably not very well. I don't think I've ever seen a cat hanging out in a painting with Jesus or the BVM.

Liz Hinds said...

I do have a photo of a painting of a scullery maid with a cat lying in front of the fire but, no, now you come to mention it, cats didn't feature much. Or bees.