Sunday, May 28, 2017

The one about the hotel and the university don

We stayed in the 5* Hotel Volcan, which is on the eastern end of Playa Blanca, just near Marina Rubicon. It is spread out, as you can see in this photo, from just to the left of the 'volcano' as you look at it, to the right end, where our room was. It took us about three days to work out the quickest route to the restaurant/pool. Well, to work out any route really.
To get to reception you had to go through this cavernous hall, the idea of a cathedral emphasised by the  churchy music they played. 

I could quite easily have sat here for ages listening to Gregorian chants.

Somehow I managed to change the camera settings unintentionally for this photo of the exterior. The 'volcano' had string lighting coming down the sides, to resemble lava I suppose, but we were never out late enough to see it lit up!

The pool was large and there weren't a huge number of sunbeds but always enough (in spite of the many Germans staying at the hotel with their allegedly notorious habits of baggsying beds). Here's my very brown Adonis emerging.
One or rather two of the guests caught my attention. Two men, they were always at breakfast and dinner and quite often sitting outside at a table while the older man smoked. we never saw the older man without his slacks and blazer.
We - or perhaps I - guessed they were father and son, as they looked similar except the younger man had longer curly hair and didn't wear a blazer. but always a shirt. We - or again I - wondered if the older man might be a university don; he had that sort of look about him. Either that or he was a detective investigating a case along with his sidekick. (I've see Morse in Spain.)

Whatever it seemed very strange to go to Lanzarote and dress like that. I assume they never sunbathed or went to the beach and while there are some other attractions I wouldn't have thought they would warrant a week there. I should have gone up and said, 'Excuse me, I'm doing research for the tourist industry. Would you mind telling me the purpose of your visit to Lanzarote?' 

Next time I'll do that.

P.S. Do you like my drawing? there's more to follow ...!


2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Big Spy and Little Spy , perhaps . ( I've been watching too much television , I think )

Liz Hinds said...

Another possibility, sonata.