Sunday, May 28, 2017

Am I missing something here?

Our hotel was in the posh end of town. It was so posh it even had a Pillow Menu.
Admittedly it didn't tell you how to get one of these pillows (or how much it would cost) but I was intrigued when I read it.

First of all I was pleased to see that the Paris classical pillow had been especially developed for resting.
Yes, I'd have thought that all pillows ideally would be made for restful sleep but, hey, perhaps this was especially somnifacient. (My spellcheck doesn't recognise that as a word but it is, I promise you. It means, according to Mr Chambers, sleep-inducing.)

But what really puzzled me was the Horseshoe pillow designed to protect your cervical vertebrae.
I don't know if it's a mis-translation or if I am particularly ignorant, or even if it were intended for use under one's bottom.

Ah, having my dictionary to hand I checked the meaning and I am amazed - at my own ignorance and the fact - that cervix is the technical name for the back of the neck. Well,blow me down with a damp lettuce leaf.

It also refers to a necklike narrowing of an organ e.g. the uterus.

More holiday stuff to follow. Proper holiday stuff I mean.



2 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

A pillow from Paris should perhaps offer faint echoes of Edith Piaf ...

Liz Hinds said...

That would be nice. Lulled to sleep.