Monday, February 19, 2007

Sunday Miscellany

Yesterday Husband commented that I was looking miserable.

'What do you expect? a) I am on a diet; b) I'm not losing any weight; c) my roots are 1" long and very white at the front. I am turning into a little fat badger.'

I had a good eating week this week too (apart from the box of Venetian chocolates and the rice pudding). Pah!

* * * * * * * * * * *

And what's more, what has happened to wallpaper shops? They don't exist any more. The only places selling wallpaper are the big DIY stores and their choice is limited!


Husband is still in decorating mode; he's moved onto the hall and landing. By the way the reason I haven't posted a photo of our wonderful newly-decorated bedroom is that I haven't sorted out the curtains yet. That's another thing it's hard to find!

What I really want - for the hall - is darkish green or red paper with a tiny bit of pattern; the sort of thing Laura Ashley used to do well. In fact just the sort of thing we have over the fireplace in the living-room.

I've spent some time browsing on the web: do you know you can buy wallpaper for £112 a roll? I told Husband that, mainly so that when I say, 'Can I spend £15.99 a roll on wallpaper?' he'll think it's a bargain.

Husband is off on leave tomorrow and he has just told me he will be ready to start painting the ceiling. Oh dear. So what do you think? Green or red? Just for the bit below the wotsit; the bit above will be painted in ... another colour.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Looking at my blog statistics it seems that the overall number of visitors is increasing very gradually, but that's mostly due to first-timers. The number of returning visitors stays fairly constant, which suggests that I have a few regular readers, but that, for most people, one visit is enough. I can understand that.
* * * * * * * * * * *
In prison this morning, Sean from Zac's was speaking. Have I mentioned that they have a newish system for visitors on entering the prison? They keep everyone's fingerprints on record and compare them on the magic scanner. Most people have trouble either entering or leaving, getting the scanner to recognise their prints; I never have this problem. I had better not commit a crime: my fingerprints will be too clear and easily identifiable.
Sean read something about drinking from the crystal chalice. When we were talking afterwards, one of the other ladies said it made her think of Terry Waite; the chaplain said something equally spiritual. I didn't say it reminded me of Dumbledore and Harry Potter.

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. I never thought about that - wallpaper shops having disappeared but they have, haven't they? I like your logic of telling hubby about the £112 wallpaper! Re your blog you seem to have lots of ergular visitors from what I see in the comments section. You are always interesting!

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Welshcakes.

The trouble with ordering paper over the net is that you can't be absolutely sure what the colour will be like. It looks like it will be a quick scour of any little shop I can find in Swansea that says it sells wallpaper!

Anonymous said...

So hubby was growling at the badger was he?

I wouldn't mention that in Glasgow if I wre you! ;-)

Lee said...

I visit your blog every day, Liz and comment at each of my visits. I was a little slack over the weekend, I must admit.

I'm not really one for wall-paper...but that's me...we've all got our individual styles and tastes. Probably the best way of buying it is through the Net these days, but then you really would get the trues colours, I would imagine, if you did it that way.

Apparently, stenciling is making a big comeback in interior design...and is easy to achieve by one's self. You could make whatever statement you liked on your wall by stenciling...it's a very old art...the Egyptians used it.

Puss-in-Boots said...

I like the red below the wotsit.