Thursday, February 15, 2007

A bit of a blur

As well as being a blogging addict, I am becoming a digital-photo-taking addict (I wouldn't classify what I do as photography).

Hanging the washing on the line just now - it is a wonderful drying day - I was accompanied by a sweet little robin who was singing his heart out. I rushed inside to find the camera, got back out but fiddled around for so long trying to find him in the viewer that he gave up and flew away.

I am convinced the camera doesn't point at the thing it is photographing. For example, if I want to take a photo centred and focused on A, then I have to point the camera slightly to the left of A. Is this normal? The way cameras work? Or do we just have a dodgy camera?

Things aren't helped by my age-corrupted eyesight. Not being able to see clearly what I'm focusing on is a bit of a bummer; as is not being able to tell if the automatic focus is working properly. It isn't usually. Not when I'm trying to do close-ups. Husband has explained to me what setting I have to use but my memory is age-corrupted as well.


Talking about a bit of a bummer, i don't know what I did in circuits last night but my right buttock aches.


But all that was really just to explain why this photo isn't very clear.

It's my little fan heater. I have it on in the study when I'm working. The idea is that it is more efficient to warm this room than the whole of the house. It's my idea anyway. Could be right.

Anyway, if you can see, you'll see there are two dials. The top one controls how hot I want it to be; the bottom one has different settings. The settings include one called ECO.

I am under the belief that this stands for Economy, but how can that be? If the temperature is controlled by the top dial, then if I set the bottom dial on Economy, will it make me as warm more cheaply i.e. send a message to the Electricity shop and tell them I'm using the Economy setting so please don't charge me so much? Or will it use less energy - but take longer so it has to be on for longer - to reach the same temperature? Or is it just a magic button that was invented by a genius who worked out how to create energy from nothing? Thus disproving every law of energy there is, I expect.

That's it. And he was employed by the Electricity people who obviously don't want people knowing how to make energy from nothing or they'll be out of business, so they a) bribed him to keep quiet; b) said they'd use it as they have in my fan heater just to keep him happy; c) kidnapped him and even now he is a prisoner in a castle somewhere in deepest Cumbria.

Now for anyone who reads this who thinks I should be working i.e. Husband and Daughter, I'm on my lunch break.

9 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Love the post! I know just what you mean about focussing the camera. It does so help if you can see! I agree with your fan heater hypothosis - it must have been invented by an electricity board-type genius! [Maybe it stands for "ecological"? - But the same logic would apply, wouldn't it, as for "economy"?]

Unknown said...

Hi Liz. I'm visiting through the Over 50 Bloggers. I'm Beckie. I'm a blogging addict too (have 3 going) and just got my first digital camera back in May.

I've been told our heritage is partly Welsh so it's fun finding somebody from Wales.

Have a great day.

Shirley said...

Cameras are laws unto themselves.

Amazing Gracie said...

I didn't say anything earlier but on my mom's side we're French, English and Welsh. Unfortunately, I don't have documentation - her maiden name was Morris, which is awfully common and hard to trace.

Anonymous said...

Liz, just a quick visit and hello. Still not back, but wanted to drop in.

Lee said...

Um...I believe you, Liz...though perhaps thousands wouldn't! Tomorrow I'm going to post a picture of me tap dancing....on the tap in the kitchen sink! ;)

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Liz, I've spend the last few minutes catching up on your posts... which are many, varied and entertaining.

Unfortunately, I can't give you any advice on your camera...my eyes and memory are just as age-corrupted as yours, in fact as I'm older, they're more corruped so I'd just confuse the both of us.

Have a great weekend

Gary said...

My solution for your two problems required two cameras. To see exactly what I am taking a picture of I use a "view through the lens type camera", i.e. an SLR. Currently this camera is a Canon Digital Rebel. Love it. For the second problem, i.e. to be always ready for a photo, I use a shirt pocket camera that I can whip out an any moment, even when driving. For this I use the Casio S600.

Liz Hinds said...

Beckie and Gracie - the Welsh get everywhere: we are slowly taking over the world!

Yes, Morris is a very common name. My husband does genealogy and spends hours going through internet records.

Welshcakes, I put the heater on ECO to see what would happen. The answer is: nothing. Not that I could tell so it must all be magic!

Shirley, cameras do abide by their own laws. Still they're much more foolproof and liz-proof that they used to be.

Gary, I am concerned at your tendency to whip it out while driving.