Wednesday, September 09, 2026

Husband does magic

Unsurprisingly I didn't manage to read as many books as I took. One I finished on holiday had an excellent opening paragraph:

First off, I'm not a violent man. Quite the opposite. For example, I've never once in my life gotten into a fight. And I didn't even kill anyone until I was forty-two.

The book might not be to your taste but you've got to admit that's a cracking opening. It's called Murder Mindfully and I notice there's a television adaptation on Netflix at the moment. It's quite gruesome but also funny and strangely logical. 

I also read Butter, an international best-seller according to the cover. Another strange one where a journalist wants to interview a woman accused of luring three men to her and then killing them. The accused is an unpleasant woman with ideas I don't agree with but I couldn't help wanting her to be proved innocent. She could be thoroughly nasty but there was also a naivety and neediness about her.

There's a lot of food talk in it. The journalist mentions on several occasions buying onigiri for her dinner so when I spotted it in a Lidl in France in a tiny Japanese section I couldn't resist buying it. I assumed from her description it was a sort of savoury ready meal. The one I bought was raspberry and white chocolate and not horrid but not very nice. Maybe a fishy one would be better.

* * * * *

This morning I sorted the washing and put it in the machine only for the machine to appear dead. I shouted up to Husband to tell him it wasn't working. He came down the stairs a few minutes later saying, "It's fixed now."

And it was.

* * * * *
A letter arrived while I was on holiday telling me an appointment had been made for me to have the RSV vaccination. Trouble was, it was for last Saturday.

I've made a new appointment. I've only just become eligible to get this jab and I'll take anything that's going and that promises to help me stay healthy. Or at least not as ill as I could be.




No comments: