Monday, September 21, 2026

And so it begins

Night 1
Syd slept reasonably well and didn't start crying until 4. Husband nudged me at 7 to get up and sort him out. I can't hear him crying so Husband suffers the most.
Night 2
Syd cried all night.
I mostly didn't hear him and slept but was woken a few times by restless Husband. Everyone very tired. Speaker in church had a quiet voice, not helpful when you're trying to stay awake. Meanwhile Daughter and two grandchildren came round to keep Syd company.
Night 3
Either Syd was so tired after the night before and a busy day and slept, or Husband was so tired he didn't hear him, but it seemed to be a largely peaceful night, Syd starting at about 6.15.

Lots of advice about dealing with puppies and nights. The breeder told us to ignore him. Various websites say to sleep with him at first. Others say, "Give up and bring him to your bedroom." Absolutely no chance of that!

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I had to pick GrandDaughter1 up from work so I left Husband in charge. It was a lovely afternoon so Husband decided to do some work in the garden.

Husband turned his back for a moment and Syd fell in the pool.

Husband yanked him out and Syd immediately walked across and went headfirst into the pond.

This does not bode well for the future. I foresee many Sydventures as I think Boud called them.

Husband will be putting the winter cover on the pool asap, and I think we'll have to put a temporary barrier around the pond.

It would have been George's birthday yesterday.

I think he would approve of me getting a new dog finally.




7 comments:

Ann said...

I foresee many good Syd stories in the future.

Anvilcloud said...

In our house, it would be the man who wouldn’t hear.

Boud said...

Syd may be a handful. I can hear I told you so from husband..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hmmmm, Syd must be a water breed.

Janie Junebug said...

I can imagine George watching from his heavenly perch and saying, "Look at that lovely Syd. He'll make my mom happy." I've only raised a puppy once, and it was many years ago. I adopt the older dogs other people don't want. I do think Syd should be with you at night but I will try not to nag. Having him with you will strengthen your bond and help him learn from you. My son, Favorite Young Man, went through a program to become a dog trainer, and he was taught to keep the dogs he trained next to him at night. They slept in a crate -- the dogs, not my son. I think the breeder is totally wrong about ignoring the dog.

Love,
Janie

Liz Hinds said...

It's so tricky, Janie. We have never allowed dogs upstairs.

Kathy G said...

It's hard to decide which puppy photo is cuter.