Monday, August 17, 2026

Under the whispering door

Trying to make sense of a legal document. Really no need to use whereas or whereby quite so often. Feeling rather tetchy with owner of the building next door to Zac's trying to claim things we didn't agree to.

Anyway, recently I found a notelet and envelope in one of my charity shop books. It's dated 2014 and it seems was meant to accompany a gift of a book of short stories. The envelope is addressed so I'm wondering if I should send it?


The problem is that the note mentions an appointment with a consultant. It was a reassuring report apparently but what if either the sender or recipient is now dead? What do you think? 

* * * * *

On the car radio I caught a part of the dramatisation of Noel Streatfield's The Growing Summer. In it, it's 1965 and four children are sent to live with their eccentric great-aunt in a run-down mansion on the west coast of Ireland. I was so taken with it I've ordered the book. Didn't we all dream of running wild and living in almost derelict mansions?

Then because I needed to order another book so I wouldn't have to pay postage I opted for Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune, who wrote The House in the Cerulean Sea

* * * * *

And here's my latest article in which I disagree with Job.

6 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I used to work in a used book store you would never believe what we would find in books.
Cathy

Ann said...

I think I would be tempted to send it

Kathy G said...

I would personally shred such an old note.

Anvilcloud said...

I suppose there isn’t a wardrobe involved?

Liz Hinds said...

Sadly no.

Liz Hinds said...

This is probably the most interesting thing I've found.