Monday, August 05, 2024

Out Out to the power of 2

Lots to catch up on today.

After going out on Friday night we were out again on Saturday at my friend's 70th birthday party in her local pub. We've been friends for over sixty years and though we don't see each other very often it's always the same when we are together.  

We took different paths in our lives but the love is still there.

But two nights out on the trot? Phew. Husband had his brain scan before we went on Saturday evening and, as the department was quiet, they offered to do his chest x-ray at the same time! So we didn't stay too late at the party.

Yesterday family came round to swim and Elder Sons and his boys stayed for dinner - which he cooked.

So I'm just catching up on all the topics filling my head and needing to be splurged out on my blog.

I am convinced Minitoo has stealth properties. When I begin to enter my reg mark in the car park at M&S the machine should recognise it from the first few letters. It never does. Minitoo must get under its defences.

I forgot to mention that last week GrandSon1 and I had a Rap Battle. Admittedly most verses ended with, "And you smell like poo." Sophisticated no. Indicative of a young teenage boy and his slow-witted granny, yes.

What else? Let's get some photos up.

Oh yes, the clearance sale at Rough Edges (the man-focussed charity shop supporting Zac's) continued on Saturday. I called in and picked up these goodies for just £5

Last week I paid more than £5 for a rose and it doesn't fit on the end of our watering can so this was a bargain

This I bought because it was interesting.

And this I bought so I could feel like a proper Lady Gardener.

It would be better if the trug were made of wood or willow but it serves its purpose. I will probably never use it again!

I had a baking day on Saturday, making corned beef pie for dinner, and using the left-over pastry to make a little apple pasty, mainly because I wanted to see what my pastry was like. I have a fear - I've mentioned before - of making pastry. On Saturday I talked myself up. "Don't let it see your fear! Approach with confidence!"

It was okay I think. Although just before we sat down to eat Husband said, "I think I've mentioned before that I'm not keen on corned beef pie."

Well, tough, you've got it now, and there's enough for two meals. Must make a note to Self. Husband does not appreciate corned beef pie or hasselback potatoes.




Elder Son persuaded me I 'owed'* him a cake so I made a tray of rhubarb and white chocolate blondies as they'd gone down well in the week.

The wild flower displays on the verges are particularly lovely this year. The overall view doesn't look as impressive in a photo as it does in real life so I took a few close-ups too. Only risking my life a tiny bit as I ran to the middle of the dual carriageway. (It was fine: there was not a lot of traffic while I was there.)




Now a question. Why is it only corned beef tins that still have their own little opener?
Do sardines still have it? Why was it invented in the first place? But it's very useful.



* I asked ES if he wanted any rhubarb and he said he'd like a rhubarb cake . . .







7 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Wildflowers on verges is a step in the right direction IMO.

Boud said...

I think I'd have lost it after all that work to have that comment about the pie. Or maybe I'd have taken away his helping and invited him to make his own meal..

I love verges left to flower and I hope they don't mow before seeding happens. Those are lovely pictures.

Marie Smith said...

I have a few friendships like you describe. We don’t have to see each other all the time but when we do, it is like time didn’t pass! Precious relationships like that are few and far between. Treasures!

jabblog said...

The key on the corned beef tin is fine so long as it doesn't break off!
I think more and more councils are embracing wildflower verges. To borrow a quote, 'Every little helps.'

Ann said...

Nice photo of you and your friend.
Those wildflowers are very pretty.

Janie Junebug said...

When I was still married I took my husband in for a brain scan. It didn't go well. His couldn't be found. You are pretty wild, going out in the evening. The wildflowers are lovely.

Love,
Janie

Kathy G said...

I just finished a stretch where I was extremely busy for three days in a row. That wouldn't have been a problem for younger me, but now it just about did me in.