Tuesday, July 09, 2024

Murmuring about plankton

On her blog Debra talks about bucket lists. Like Debra I have lots of places I'd quite like to visit but wouldn't really call them bucket list-worthy. So I had a think.

There are three things I'd like to see - but there's a problem as you'll see. They are: Aurora Borealis, luminescent plankton, and a murmuration. You see the problem?

Unlike the changing of the guard you can't predict accurately when or where these will happen. You could go on a cruise and, even if the northern lights deigned to make an appearance, it could be cloudy. You could get up in the middle of the night and drive to a local beach in the hope of seeing plankton, and there'd be nothing. Similarly with murmurations.

I shall have to think about this. Do you have a bucket list?

* * * * *

I am wondering if I have managed, unknowingly, to upset people in the last few months. I asked Husband if he thought I had. He paused, for a little too long for my liking, before saying, "I don't know what you may have done."

* * * * *

I've been taking a magnesium tablet for about seven weeks now. Can't say I've noticed any great improvement. I have about another two months' worth so I'll report back again at the end.

I'm now four and a half days into my cutting out extra sugar regime. So far so good but today I have to resist the blueberry muffins I've made for Zac's tonight. 


P.S. Have checked and the murmurations may not be as hard to find as I anticipated. But will have to wait until November.

11 comments:

Boud said...

I've seen two of your list, sheer chance, though, as you say. The Northern lights showed up on a family camping trip in Algonquin Park, Ontario, lovely curtains of green gauze floating about. The murmuration was close to home!
I don't know if I'd know plankton if I saw it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I know that any Northern Lights I've seen have always been unexpected and a delightful surprise. Too bad they can't be scheduled on demand.

Ann said...

Not only do I not have a bucket list but I don't know if I even have a bucket

Ole phat Stu said...

Yes I do have a bucket list, Liz.
I have seen several auroras. Now seen 3 volcanoes erupt. Must blog this evening about a list item anniversary today.

Marie Smith said...

Your muffins looks great! Good luck resisting them!

No Roots said...

That's a great list of things to see.
Earlier this year the Aurora Borealis was visible on the South Coast of England. The display was much better than those we saw in Iceland. (Didn't travel for the lights)
I've seen the plankton but no idea where apart from the fact that I was on a ship.
Murmurations are really common around here in Sussex. At this time of year we get all the mini murmurations, where this year's chicks are learning. Several around Brighton, Hove, Worthing and they do like a pier :)
I would love to see an active volcano ..... not just the aftermath.

Anvilcloud said...

I have seen the aurora but not as brilliantly as some have. It was one night at the country cottage. We were sleeping in a tent. My daughter awoke us on the way to her tent, and we sat in lawn chairs and watched the lights dance for some time.

Toni said...

The Northern Lights were visible here in northern California last month. My husband and I drove north of Mt. Shasta and photographed them and then headed south and got Mt. Shasta in the foreground.

The photos were awesome but witnessing the swirling colors was an awesome experience. If I had a bucket list, not that I've seen them, I would have put "Seeing the Northern Lights" at the top of the list.

jabblog said...



Murmurations are fabulous - great sweeping curtains of birds. A choreographer could not organise it more perfectly.

Liz Hinds said...

I accidentally kicked the bucket yesterday, Ann.
Jealous of all those who've seen these things. No Roots, yes, it was visible in Swansea too but nobody told me until it was over!
And, Marie, I did resist! How strong am I?!

Abby said...

Yours are good bucket list choices. I don't have a bucket list. I realize that it's after I've seen these things that I realize they should've been bucket listed, e.g. total solar eclipse and the ocean.