Sunday, June 09, 2024

The big and the small

Husband and I both spent best part of yesterday working in the garden. That's not so unusual for Husband but is for me. I have become a lady gardener.

Most of my time was spent trying to untangle and remove the wire fencing we put up on top of the low wall to keep Harvey/George in. It had become thoroughly over-grown with ivy and baddies like bindweed, and the task was made extra hard because of the rose bushes in front. I managed to remove about half and am covered in scars for my efforts.

Then it was time to call in Husband with his hedge trimmers. It would have been the chain-saw but he'd just worn that out again.

By the time we'd finished late yesterday afternoon the front lawn was covered in dead rose stems, wire, and ivy - and still is. That's a job for today.

The big - peony

The small - our first wild strawberry of the year



* * * * *
This morning Son-in-law was running in the Swansea half-marathon, so we wandered down to the road to cheer him past. And then across the footgolf course to cheer back the other way along the sea front. He was heading for a very good time so well done, Son-in-Law!
About the halfway mark

Ideal conditions for a race

The organisers were expecting about five thousand runners, and they were all abilities. I'm afraid I cannot see the fun in running. Never have, yet an awful lot of people love it. They had pacers - and I think, why? You don't even have the possibility of trying to break your own record; you're just running. 




I noticed these flowers growing 'wild' on our way down. I think they were planted but they're very pretty.









8 comments:

Boud said...

I'm told by my marathon running granddaughter that there's a high in running. I think there's also cameraderie in it for a lot of people, hence running clubs. I'm happy to wave as they pass.

Liz Hinds said...

Me too, Boud.

Liz Hinds said...

We were standing by a couple of people who knew lots of the runners and knew the run sort of motivating thing to say.

Marie Smith said...

Running is popular here and our daughter is into it too. She’s training for her first 10 k. We will cheer her on too.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never seen the allure of running either, but congrats to your son-in-law.

jabblog said...

My husband was a lifelong daily runner until his knees gave up. It was his way of dealing with a very stressful job. I tried, but just found it very boring. preferring to walk. Now, we both walk.

Anvilcloud said...

I wonder how many people suddenly get into gardening at a certain point in their lives. I had little interest until one day in my early fifties when I suddenly decided that I should grow a perennial garden. I got quite into it for awhile, but then the body began to cave.

Ann said...

I do not like to run at all.