Thursday, June 08, 2023

Free ice cream

"Oh that's a nice Jaguar," I said, as I parked next to it. "No, wait, it's got Ferrari on the tyres."
I looked again at the symbol: a horse. "Oh, it's not a Jaguar, it's a Porsche."
Little think. "No, wait, it might be a Ferrari."
I checked the back. Yes, it had Ferrari written on it. 

I don't usually like Ferraris you see. But this was a very nice one. Red and shiny.

I was on my way to a book launch. A Welsh author was doing a whistle-stop tour of Welsh bookshops to promote her latest book. I thought it would be nice to go and support a fellow writer. Plus there was the promise of free ice cream. (The book's called Summer at the Ice Cream CafĂ© by Jo Thomas.)

She was late. I got cornered by a very talkative one-legged lawyer. But I got my free ice cream. The author wasn't actually in the bookshop for long to chat so I had my ice cream and went. I'm not good at chatting anyway. Not that I would have had a chance with lawyer there. He did give me some helpful advice: if M&S fines you for staying too long in its car park don't pay it. Chances are they won't bother taking you to court.

I didn't risk it. I moved my car before doing a bit of garden shopping.

P.S The publicist took this photo.

Not sure why we're so misty!


4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I never pay parking fines from private parking lots. Your chatty lawyer is right. There's not enough money at stake for them to actually sue you. So all you have to do is put up with (i.e. dodge) periodic phone calls from debt collection agencies for a few months. After the two year limitation period for suing passes, those calls will stop.

But always pay parking fines from a city or municipal authority. They have other ways to force payment that should not be ignored.

Ann said...

Free ice cream, can't beat that.

Marie Smith said...

The ice cream is a great draw!

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Debra, for that advice.

I confess it was largely the ice cream that took me there.