Friday, March 24, 2023

Not that it's old but . . .

Apparently I have a tendency to make arrangements but only in my head. I don't tell others, or, if I do, it's only to mention it as the slightest possibility. Then I am puzzled when everyone claims not to know about it.

Husband says it's one of my faults. Elder Son says I join dots in my head.

Of course I deny this vehemently.

It's the fault of others for forgetting or not listening. You believe me, don't you?

* * * * *

After, ooh, a comparatively short time for us i.e. maybe only six months or so, the dining room will be restored to being a dining room again this weekend, having been decorated and the floor sanded and polished. 

This time it is partly my fault because the floor looked so lovely I suggested Husband might want to do the same for our hall floor. So yesterday we moved the sideboard back in. I really want to get something different - maybe a small table to smaller sideboard.

The sideboard we are using is the bottom half of the dresser thing we used to have in the dining-room. I checked with Husband and he said, yes, we had had it since just after we were married, so about forty-four years. 

My in-laws seemed to change their sofas and furniture a lot. They probably didn't change it excessively it was just that coming from my family home, where everything was old to begin with and was never changed, it appeared that way to me. 

Husband and I may spend a bit more on our furniture but we make it last. "So I don't have to feel guilty about wanting to replace the sideboard, do I?" I said to Husband.

"Of course you do," he replied. "Throwing away furniture when it isn't broken!"

Originally I'd said I wouldn't put the sideboard back in the hall; I'd wait until I bought a replacement. But that could be a long time. I've had a little look but not seen anything I really like. Daughter-in-law, after she'd pointed out a few alternatives, asked me exactly what I wanted. 

"I don't know but I'll know when I see it."

Come back in five years. See if we still have the sideboard in place.

Before putting the drawers back in I sorted out one of them. In it I found a pretend cigar and pretend cigarette. "Why do we have a magic wand in here?" I asked.
"It's not a wand; it's a cigarette holder."

I also found a bottle of record cleaner fluid.




5 comments:

Boud said...

The contents of those drawers are collectibles. Yoh could sell them and put the proceeds to pay for a new thing when you see it. No rush, though.

Anonymous said...

I think you should keep the sideboard, too!

Anna said...

That was me! Hah. It is lovely and classic.

Ann said...

Love the looks of that floor. I often don't know what I want but like you, I'll know it when I see it.
Magic wand...lol

Cop Car said...

I agree with Ann that the sideboard is lovely.