Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Members of the jury

Husband had just collected our shopping order from Sainsburys. He said, "Why did you order pickled onions when I said I was going to make some?"

"With just eight onions?" I asked.

"What do you mean eight?"

"That's what you wrote on the shopping list."

"No, I didn't. Why would I want only eight pickling onions?"

I dug the shopping list out of the recycling bin. "Look, see? You did ask for eight."


Husband studied it. "That's an 's'. I asked for pickling onions!"

Members of the jury, I put it to you that is not an 's'. It is in fact, as the defendant argues, an '8'. If you want further proof compare it with his 's' at the end of 'papers' (above) or in 'horserradish (sic) sauce' (below).

Incidentally this was after he'd just accidentally knocked a can out of the fridge and spilled coconut milk over the milk, and called me a "silly woman!"

P.S. Sainsburys didn't have any number of pickling onions, hence the bottle.

P.P.S. My latest article for The Bay magazine can be found here.



6 comments:

pam nash said...

This juror rules in favor of the Defendant. Looks like an '8' to me.

Boud said...

It's an 8, m'lud. For a very niche recipe.

Anonymous said...

If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself..

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Throw yourself on the mercy of the court! That's the best advice I can give.

Ann said...

I have to say it does look like an 8.

Cop Car said...

I could go either way on "8" vs "S" but that is probably because my own lettering is so squiggly anymore that one may read whatever one likes. I particularly have a problem with descending strokes, my tremors cause me to leave a "foot" at the bottom of each.