Friday, July 08, 2022

A Day Out at the Seaside

A lovely day today along the west coast of Wales in Laugharne. (Pronounced Larne.) It was a refreshing break after a prolonged contretemps with aforementioned Christian leader. Picking on me is one thing; pick on my son and you're in serious tiger mummy country.

Dylan Thomas was born in Swansea but spent much of his married life in Laugharne, particularly living in the boathouse. And especially drinking in the pubs. The boathouse seen on the left in the photo below is now a mini museum/shrine to Dylan Thomas.


His writing was done in a little shed further along the road that is fitted out as it would have been in his days.

Although how anyone could work with a view like this . . .

There are lots of family photos in the house including one taken on the day of his funeral. I was particularly intrigued by Martha the death.
That's her in the middle.


There's also an image on the wall of an extract from Quite Early One Morning.
I hope you can read it; it's very entertaining.

All in all a very pleasant day in beautiful weather but with too much food. Incidentally if you visit Laugharne I suggest walking straight past Arthur's and going to The Owl and the Pussycat. They serve tea in a teapot. And very nice food.





4 comments:

MaryB said...

Okay, so now this is on my bucket list. Lovely.

Boud said...

I eas wondering why that place name was do familiar. Of course, Dylan Thomas, the one I think of when people say you know, Dylan! I remember him live on BBC tv, reciting his work. The force that through the green fuse drives the flower..
I'm glad you visited.
bo
About attacking family -- yes, that's dumping territory there's no coming back from.

Marie Smith said...

I agree. Someone attacking family is another matter entirely.

Love that bit of Dylan!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you for duking it out with the "christian leader" -- some people just need telling off!

"Martha the death" -- now THAT'S an intriguing nickname.