Sunday, January 09, 2022

I'm not really a little teapot

Oh my golly gosh! It had to be this week I make a mistake!

As you may know I record a weekly talk to be broadcast on a local Christian radio station a couple of times a week, the first time being about now, 8.35, on the Sunday evening. I record about twelve minutes of talking and Bramwell the producer edits it and fits in songs to make it a thirty-minute show. So far so good.

This week I sent off my talk and was surprised I hadn't had an email from him thanking me, as usual, but thought no more of it. I just finished watching a programme on television and came in to the study for a final puta play before bed, realised I'd be on live, and tuned into the radio station halfway through my talk.

I thought it was strange that there didn't seem to be any musical interludes and that the show finished quarter of an hour early but as I was looking for a photo in my old albums at the time I let it carry on playing. Next thing I hear is a gibber-gibber-gibber followed by me singing, 'I'm a little teapot'. 

I wonder for a moment if I've slipped into an alternate universe.

Then I put two and  two together and come up with, 'Oh my golly gosh!'

When I'm recording my talk I take care - usually - to edit out all the mistakes, and the bit at the beginning where I test that it's working. For some reason beyond my comprehension the very first bit of recording, where I usually say, 'Testing, testing, one two, three,' always plays back at fast speed. I start recording again and it's back to normal. I make no changes in between and don't do anything different; I have accepted it as a little quirk I have to live with.

Usually when I start recording again I repeat my testing mantra, but this week for some strange reason I sang, 'I'm a little teapot.' And, when editing, forgot to delete the bit at the beginning!

Normally that wouldn't be a problem as Bramwell, as I say, does his own editing. But the radio station is a one or two man affair and I'd noticed last week there were some changes to schedule so I'm guessing Bramwell might be off sick. It would explain the lack of acknowledgment email too. 

So the solution whoever is now looking after the station schedule came up with was to repeat my talk as it was sent in. So listeners were subjected not once but twice to me singing, 'I'm a little teapot.'

And this is the photo I was looking for:

1985 - the dress was a bad choice too



4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hahahahahahaha! I'm sure your listeners are looking forward to your NEXT broadcast in which you explain WHY you were singing a nursery rhyme in this broadcast! You COULD simply tell them the truth, but where's the fun in that? Explain that it was a secret coded message to international spies or something to take over the world and install you as Grand Poobah.

I gotta tell ya, Liz. That perm? That dress? Burn that photo, like I did with mine.

Boud said...

When I see curly hair, I always assume it's natural. Mine being curly!

I love the little teapot event! Yes, I think you could milk this a bit.. Hehheh.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

@ Boud -- Sheesh, I only suggested the Minor Sin of lying but you topped that with the Deadly Sin of a bad pun, GROAN!

pam nash said...

I have to agree with Debra - coded message sounds like the best explanation.