Tuesday, January 11, 2022

How cool am I?

Mini is in car hospital. You may recall that I scraped her - just a little bit - a few months ago, so she's in being made good as new. In the meantime I have to drive Alfie Porsche.

It's not something I often want to do as the rear view mirror fell off years ago and there is no adhesive in the world that will make it stay on again. So I have to use the wing mirrors which are set for Husband, and as a little short-legs I have to pull my seat very close to the steering wheel, meaning if I want to look in the side mirrors I have to lean over.

Also I have to get used to the fact that where 6th gear is on Mini is reverse gear on Alfie. Not that I go that fast that often.

But once I'm settled in I go right into, 'How cool am I driving a Porsche?' mode. The fact it's very old, a bit rusty, and has a tape cassette player, is irrelevant. It's a Porsche! I'm driving it!

Alfie's also about three miles wider than Mini so I have to take even more care.

14 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I've never driven a Porsche. Or even sat in one, LOL! Enjoy the envious looks as you drive by!

Terra said...

Enjoy your luxury ride until you get Mini back.

Tasker Dunham said...

You need a sticker "My other car is a Mini".

Liz Hinds said...

Don't even think of trying to get out of one elegantly, Debra! I sort of roll along the floor.

Thanks, Terra.

I do love my mini, Tasker.

Cop Car said...

Ummm...Liz...do not the wing mirrors adjust on Alphie? That asked, I would not wish to be missing the center-mounted rearview mirror in a car that I was driving, either. Mirrors have become essential since we no longer have a friend walking us along, showing the way with a lantern.

Nice looking Porsche. I think the last time I rode in one was in Los Angeles in about 1984. A friend asked if I wanted to go sailing. I replied, "Only if you pick me up in your new 911." That turned out to be a foresightful thing. I would have been in trouble had I driven myself. I lost my glasses to a sail line while minding the tiller, in the bay.

Polly said...

Many years ago I went out with a guy who had a porsche. The romance didn't last, I was more sorry to say goodbye to the car!

Leslie: said...

Oh gosh! What a cool ride!

Liz Hinds said...

CopCar, sshhh, don't draw attention to the fact that I don't know how to adjust them!

I bet, Polly. I always say i only went out with Husband because he had an MGB.

It is, Leslie.

Marie Smith said...

Love the look of a Porsche but I’ve never been in one. Nice ride!

Kathy G said...

One of my high school acquaintances always drove a Porsche.....very old, very rusty, but a Porsche nonetheless.

PipeTobacco said...

Wow!!! Beautiful vehicle! Have you tried the official automotive glue for the rear view mirror? I presume you have….. but if not, it worked well for one of our cars when the original glue gave up.

PipeTobacco

Cop Car said...

Kathy reminded me of how times have changed. In college, let alone high school, I only knew about four or five people who had cars - none of which was a foreign (to the USA) car. Schools (or at least the schools involved in trying to educate me) didn't have parking lots for students in those days. Most of the guys who had cars were veterans (GIs from Korean conflict attending school on the GI Bill) or locals.

Ole Phat Stu said...

Mine is a 944 Porsche also, 1985 edition in red, everything manual.
See http://www.savory.de/stus_blog_pix_2017/porsche%20944H.jpg

Ole Phat Stu said...

I've put up some photos of MY 944 for you LIZ,
see http://www.savory.de/blog_jan_22.htm#20220112