Tuesday, September 14, 2021

Where's Jiminy Cricket when you need him?

Somebody slap me. 

I need a Jiminy Cricket type character on my shoulder, not to be my conscience but, to be the voice of reason, the voice that will make me say, 'No,' instead of 'Yes,' or 'Um, well, I ... alright.'

It's so hard to say no especially if it's something you want to do. Take this week for example. We've just started a series on prayer in Zac's bible study and it was my idea. I asked if we could have a closer look at prayer - and now, all being well, I'm going to miss half of the series because I'll be in Italy. 

So Sean asked me if I'd like to lead the study this week. 

Yes of course I'd like to lead a study. But I've got far too much to do before we go already. But I can make time. (It's an uncanny ability - when I really want to do something I find the time; when I'm not so keen time escapes me.) So, yes, I'll do it with pleasure.

That's prepared and practised and by cunningly using much of the same material I've prepared my next radio talk too. I really do impress myself sometimes.

However pride does come before a fall. Remember I said I was a genius for managing to get my new tablet up and running all by myself? I spoke too soon.

Just because I can see all the books in my kindle library doesn't mean I can get at them.

I've followed all the different paths and advice Amazon has given me - which invariably lead me to the same place i.e. do this and now your books will be downloaded - except they're not! I still can't get at them. And as my prime reason for getting a new tablet was to be able to read on holiday without taking a stack of library books - which I have incidentally just in case - this is a major flaw.

Husband said he will have a go this afternoon before he plays Fortnite again. I will hold him to that. In fact, I'll just go and check now that he hasn't sneaked in another game first.

4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

How exciting that you are going to see family in Italy already! Yay! As for the rest, you will manage, as you always do, Liz.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Best wishes on your talk about prayer. I'm sure it will be very successful. Share your talk with us here sometime.

Best wishes always. God bless.

Terra said...

I hope you get your tablet running smoothly. A study on prayer is always welcome, I gave a short talk on prayer recently to a secular women's group, the leader asked me to. Going to Italy soon? Be well.

Margaret said...

I read via Kindle on my iPhone; I've noticed that the interface has changed. It's wonky and I can't always manage to find my books. So frustrating! Hope you can work out the issues.