Saturday, August 07, 2021

Man the boats!

I've just donated to a fund to buy a new rescue hovercraft for the RNLI, one to be named the Flying Farage, after that hideous little man, Nigel Farage, tweeted, 'Sadly the wonderful RNLI in Kent has become a taxi service for illegal immigration, to the dismay of all involved,' and went on to suggest rescuing refugees from the sea should be made illegal.

I'm not sure who the 'all involved' are who are so dismayed but I assume they are equally repulsive human beings.

What kind of person can even think those things?

But he picked the wrong service when he spoke against the RNLI. Donations have flooded in to the GoFundMe campaign as well as to the RNLI itself. Enough money has nearly been raised to buy the hovercraft - which, remember, will be manned by volunteers. Only the cox and possibly another are paid for the heroic work they do, and, unlike the ambulance and fire services, all the funding of the sea rescue service comes from donations. (Which is quite strange when you remember we live on a small island surrounded by sea.)

After I'd had ice cream with my school friend last week we took a little stroll along the prom, where there was a fund-raising display on behalf of the RNLI. We both took out our purses only to discover they weren't taking money. The girl explained that they'd realised during lockdown that the most effective way of fund-raising was via regular giving. Which makes sense: you can budget and so on, and know you have a regular income. But to turn down cash - even with Covid restrictions it should have been possible to throw it in a bucket or something - when it's being offered seems rather foolish. 

The girl volunteer was very keen to sign us up there and then but we already give regularly to a number of charities - and I get very annoyed when I get phone calls from them thanking me but asking if I might consider raising the amount - so we declined. And the RNLI didn't get the cash we would have put in. Which seems a bit silly n a sunny day when the promenade is crowded with visitors, most of whom I'm sure wouldn't want to sign up but who might have been wiling to give a pound or two.

Anyway, that is not to take away from the brilliant work the lifeboatmen and women do. Heroes one and all.

The day I was fortunate enough to watch the launch of the lifeboat.


4 comments:

Cop Car said...

It is rather irritating when a non-profit organization gets demanding as if they were for profit. I refuse to do the "give regularly" thing as I don't care for them to have access to any of my financial accounts - as would be the case over here, at least. Most envelopes from non-profits don't even get opened if they come in the post. I know they just want more money. I give...but I give because I wish to give, not because I am guilted or manipulated into it.

Well done, that you support water rescues.

Ole phat stu said...

I hsd expected you call fot womanning the boats ☺

CherryPie said...

Hopefully they won't name a boat promoting him and his obnoxious behaviour and ideas.

pam nash said...

I'm sure everyone would rather have monthly donations but refusing to take a cash donation at the moment? That's just a bit insulting I think.