Monday, June 28, 2021

You do know you're a grown-up?

Our planned family meal on Friday was put off because GrandDaughter3 was sent home from school and told to have a Covid test. As I had been with her on the Tuesday I decided to do a home test before the rest of the family came round. 

If you recall, my previous experience of self-testing made me vow never to do it again so this time I got Husband to do the swabbing. It was slightly better until he tried sticking the swab up my nose. Me backing away as he inserted it didn't help, nor did his comment, 'That was nowhere near the 2.5 cm they say to do it.'

'It'll do,' I insisted. 

Both GrandDaughter3 and I were negative. 

Saturday and no children! So I - wait for it - polished the hall floor. 

When we first moved into this house I used to polish the floor on a vaguely frequent basis. Until my enthusiasm wore off. It hadn't been polished since for about twenty years at least. Part of my reluctance was that even when it was freshly polished it wasn't shiny and beautiful like it looks in adverts. 

But now the hall is almost finished I decided before putting down my new rugs that I should try again. The man at the hardware store recommended some polish and I was away. Spent the best part of a morning on my hands and knees applying the polish before using the electric buffer. 

It looks better but still not as shiny as I hoped. Maybe it will build up if I manage to maintain enthusiasm this time. 

Put the new rugs down. Lovely. Until anyone walked on one.

Then it was a case of slip sliding away. Had to take up rugs again until I get some non-slip stuff to put underneath. Poor old George, with or without rugs he is struggling. I can see it will be like it was with Harvey: bits of carpet cuttings all over the place so he can walk through.

Also managed to watch the Lions warm-up rugby game against Japan. A fairly easy victory but a lot of work to be put in before the first test against South Africa in a few weeks.

Sunday and children again. Picked up GrandSon4 and GrandDaughter3 and took them to the beach where we met Elder Son and family. Rock climbing, waterway-building, paddling, and chip-eating. All good fun.

Followed by a full family barbecue. Got to cram them in while we can.

I was sitting on the rug with the grand-children when GrandDaughter1 said, 'You do know you're a grown-up, don't you?'

When I looked sad she said, 'It's okay, we like having you here,' and GrandSon1 said, 'She's not a grown-up, she's one of us.'

The greatest compliment a granny can have.


2 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Well, THAT will teach you to do housework! NEVER polish that floor AGAIN!

pam nash said...

Hmmm - don't the rugs cover the shiny part? Why get it shiny then. Sounds like a very nice weekend.